S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Does Hawk have a marketing gimmick?

Old 05-10-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Does Hawk have a marketing gimmick?

So pad shopping and realizing I don't like replacing rotors every 2 track weekends I was looking at some lower compounds offered by Hawk. Eye balling the DTC-30s and looking at the compound chart

Notice it says DTC-30/Street Race

Now let's compare the specs between the W (DTC-30) and the R (Street/Race) comound

Race Compound Application | Hawk Performance
Street Performance Compound Application | Hawk Performance

They're exactly the same. So why are the DTC pads $30 more a set than the R compound pads that have the exact same specs. It seems they have literally put the same pads in a different box labelled DTC, and then jacked the price up because they are labelled as a "race" pad. What gives here?

Example:

Rear brakes for the s2000
R = $70
W= $95

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Front

R = $106
W = $131

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Are pad thicknesses or footprints different between the two? Carbotechs, for example, have a larger footprint, and more thickness (IIRC) than stock.

Replacing rotors every 2 weekends is hardcore, bruv.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:49 AM

Yes, both are .622

Here's how the Hawk naming convention works

So for the fronts using an example:

HB361R.622

HB = Manufacturer
361 = Part code (applicable to fitment)
R = compound type
. = delimiter
622 = pad thickness in thousands of an inch
Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Am I missing something? I don't see anything for an "R" compound on the chart. Is it labeled something else?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

The street/race pads has shims (removable) on the backing plates and a "squealer strip" but I asked the same thing directly to Hawk several months ago:

I'm looking at either purchasing the DTC-30 or Street/Race brake pads. Is it correct that the friction material/compound as the same in both of these pads just the chamfered edges and shims are added to keep noise down on the street/race pads?
Thanks for contacting us. Simply put yes. There are few other tweaks regarding the compound just to make a little more street able but yes, those are the big things.

Carl Lemmerman
Customer Service Representative
Hawk Performance
I tried bought the Street/Race and smeared the hell out of them on the stock rear rotors and did the same to a set of DTC-30s afterward. The street/race pads wore a big groove in the rotor and actually started to make a noise similar to if you wear past the friction material and only have the backing plate or like sandpaper. I sent pics and a video to Hawk and they said the following:

Thanks for the pics and video. Based on the pictures of the pads and the markings on the rotor in the video, the pads got too hot. I am guessing this happened at VIR judging by the video on your channel and I can hear brake lock-up which tells me you are pretty hard on the brakes. Looks like you just may need more pad in the rear (higher heat tolerance).

Carl Lemmerman
Customer Service Representative
Hawk Performance
I think I still have the street/race rear pads if we go to the same track day again and want to give them a go.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Wow...thanks for the info! Did they ever fade on you? What are you running now?
Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Am I missing something? I don't see anything for an "R" compound on the chart. Is it labeled something else?
Top of the list: Street Performance Compound Application | Hawk Performance
Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hawk "low dust" pads kick off alot of dust...... just saying...,.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Wow...thanks for the info! Did they ever fade on you? What are you running now?
I didn't notice it but I probably just thought the tires were giving up. From the smearing on the rotor surface, it definitely looked like they started to fade. The front Stoptechs (w/ Project Mu Club Racers) probably just took over braking duty. The noise however was very strange because it sounded like backing plate to rotor contact but it happened after my first session on track. See video below.

Last track day I used DTC-60 in the front and rears and had no issues. I'm using a Stoptech BBK up front and URGE rear rotors. I bought a slightly used set of PFC 08 front and PFC 97 rear pads I want to try out since people say they are the bees knees. I'll be interested to see if they are worth the extra money.

So, far I've used Hawk Street/Race, DTC-30, DTC-60, DTC-70, Carbotech XP8 & XP10, and Project Mu Club Racers on the S2000. I've used Hawk HP+, HPS and EBC Yellows on other cars. I need to be sponsored by a brake pad company.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

That 'sandpaper' noise is normal for Hawk aggressive pads after you get them hot and they are bedded well, in my experience. Next comes the squealing once you shave off the transfer layer from normal driving.

They make fireworks at night, too.

Quick Reply: Does Hawk have a marketing gimmick?