S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ebay Coilovers???

Old 04-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Coilovers???

Hi Everyone,

I have to replace 1 weeping rear shock absorber for an MOT fail Just looked for a replacement and came across quite cheap sets of coil-overs on ebay £300 just wondered if anybody has had any dealings with these?
My car is just a daily driver but would quite happily spend a little money to drop it an inch!!!

Cheers in advance
Old 04-30-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Get second hand oem
Old 04-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Agreed. Don't buy that junk especially for such an important part on a car known for its handling.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks I'll give them a miss then!
Now that I've looked into this I can see the modifying hole easily swallowing me up lol
Looking at coilovers, can be as simple as replacing the standard ones with a decent set of coilovers without the need to replace anything else? I was looking just for an 1 inch drop!
Also looking at these:-
https://7twenty.co.uk/collections/7t...ant=5374079875

or something similar price.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:47 AM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

First thing is,are All your geometry adjustments free moving,as that could increase cost by £1500 and yes that's for 1mm and more
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Is the Bilstein PSS is around that price in your country?

If not...

Spend more money.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

As a note, there really is not a such thing as ebay coilovers (or ebay anything, it is a classifieds site). So it was almost impossible to answer that question without knowing what they are. I think most could answer pretty confidently that any coilovers that price are not going to be worth your time. But, otherwise, more would need to be known. For example, someone could be selling a set or Penskes on ebay (but not for that price !)

I am not sure where you are located, but I should have a set of coilovers for sale this summer, but likely not going to be what you want, unless you like your car riding like an STR prepped autocross car. And I even would not want that if I were not autocrossing my car

I also have the full stock suspension from my AP1. Still debating selling it, but I may since I doubt I would ever use it unless I sold the car. But not knowing where you are located it is hard to say if the shipping would be worth the price to you on top of buying them.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
As a note, there really is not a such thing as ebay coilovers (or ebay anything, it is a classifieds site). So it was almost impossible to answer that question without knowing what they are.
I think this is being a bit pedantic. No one thinks there is literally something called ebay coilovers, or ebay intake, or ebay spoiler, etc. But what everyone notices is dozens of vendors selling what is obviously the same exact thing, most likely made in the same place. Maybe its a slightly different color or a different label. But its the same damn thing.

So everyone just generically refers to these things as ebay ______.

With coilovers there are indeed several different brands of low end stuff on there. Even though they aren't as generic as say, ebay spoilers, its still easy to lump them all into the same category of Absolute Crap, and call th ebay coilovers. No one is going to argue any of these are at all decent or worth using.

So I would argue it is a real question that can be answered, and indeed everyone so far has answered.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I think this is being a bit pedantic. No one thinks there is literally something called ebay coilovers, or ebay intake, or ebay spoiler, etc. But what everyone notices is dozens of vendors selling what is obviously the same exact thing, most likely made in the same place. Maybe its a slightly different color or a different label. But its the same damn thing.

So everyone just generically refers to these things as ebay ______.

With coilovers there are indeed several different brands of low end stuff on there. Even though they aren't as generic as say, ebay spoilers, its still easy to lump them all into the same category of Absolute Crap, and call th ebay coilovers. No one is going to argue any of these are at all decent or worth using.

So I would argue it is a real question that can be answered, and indeed everyone so far has answered.
It is not at all pedantic. How is someone supposed to say if a product is worth buying if they do not even know the brand he is asking about? "Ebay coilovers" is simply not a thing and no judgement can be made about it. I have seen very, very high end products sold on ebay. That does not make them bad. It is like saying "are NYC classifieds section coilovers any good??". So my post was spot on and I was not being rude, simply providing feedback that without knowing what BRAND of coilovers on ebay he found, we cant say for sure if they are any good. None of that 100% assumed by you info (that they look just like other coilovers made the same way .... etc) was in his post, there was no link or description to them, only a price. didnt even say if they were used or new.

And you are 100% wrong that you can "lump them all together and call them crap". how does that make any sense at all? So if I decided to put a set of Penskes up on my ebay account, you would just call them ebay crap and move on? lol
Old 05-01-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

When someone says 'ebay coilovers', everyone that is the target audience understands this is slang for a new product marketed widely on that site, with a generic brand name, and with largely similar design and construction. Well, almost everyone.

No one else thinks ebay coilovers, when used as noun, refers to any/all coilovers, new or used, currently available on that site.

We all get its slang, and what it means. To bash someone for using such slang is being pedantic.

I should know, as its also my default mode. But I try and keep it in check.

Quick Reply: Ebay Coilovers???