S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Experience with Fortune Auto 500 vs BC Racing BR coilovers? Help needed!

Old 09-15-2022, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experience with Fortune Auto 500 vs BC Racing BR coilovers? Help needed!

Hi all!

I am looking to upgrade the suspension in my... '99 CR-V with a 5-speed. Since I can't find hardly any info on it from the CR-V crowd, I figured S2000 owners would have a lot more experience!
The main choices for me are the BC Racing BR or Fortune Auto 500 coilovers, with or without Swift springs. I have heard great things about both but can't seem to find definitive information, especially from people who have used both.
I'm looking to make it handle well and still ride decently as it is my daily driver, and I am willing to put the money in if it means I get a better product. Believe it or not, lowered it is actually pretty decent at autox for what it is!

Any experience, feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Picture of my CR-V included, currently on maxspeedingrods coilovers from the previous owner...

Old 09-15-2022, 04:58 PM

Received 1,271 Likes on 961 Posts

I would go with the Fortune Auto, hands down. No contest at all. The only downside to them is wait time of 4-6 weeks
Old 09-16-2022, 05:44 AM
Jub

Received 392 Likes on 312 Posts

Have you considered Koni with Ground control coil-over sleeves? That was the hot setup when I was into EGs/DCs and worked great for me. I'm assuming they'd have a CR-V package given it's a very similar platform.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:58 AM

Received 1,271 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
Have you considered Koni with Ground control coil-over sleeves? That was the hot setup when I was into EGs/DCs and worked great for me. I'm assuming they'd have a CR-V package given it's a very similar platform.

This might end up working well for CR-V's if you use civic/integra Konis.... because civic/integra shocks are shorter than the CRV ones.

So you wouldn't necessarily be running out of travel like using Koni/GC on a civic/integra.

The cost of this setup today is probably around $1100ish?

Fortune Auto's are still a more simple solution, however....plus they're monotube.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:16 PM
Jub

Received 392 Likes on 312 Posts

Knowing that, I'd be inclined to give FA a shot. Upside to Konis is they last forever. I didn't want to be negative on the other brands so I didn't comment on them. FA used to not have the best rep but I think they've taken control of their products a lot better and upped the quality over the years. There's a lot of positives about FA.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jub
Originally Posted by B serious
This might end up working well for CR-V's if you use civic/integra Konis.... because civic/integra shocks are shorter than the CRV ones.

So you wouldn't necessarily be running out of travel like using Koni/GC on a civic/integra.

The cost of this setup today is probably around $1100ish?

Fortune Auto's are still a more simple solution, however....plus they're monotube.
Originally Posted by Jub
Knowing that, I'd be inclined to give FA a shot. Upside to Konis is they last forever. I didn't want to be negative on the other brands so I didn't comment on them. FA used to not have the best rep but I think they've taken control of their products a lot better and upped the quality over the years. There's a lot of positives about FA.
Thank you guys!!! I have looked out for Konis for my CR-V but unfortunately the ones actually made for it are long out of stock and very hard to find, and I feel like the Integra/Civic options might just ride a bit off due to the difference in weight and weight distribution between them, so it's definitely tempting and I think I'll check it out, but I might just end up going with the Fortune Auto 500s as I have just heard back today that the spring rates are determined by tuning on the chassis, so I feel like it would be best suited for my car. One of my main goals is longevity, so that 5 year warranty and discount on rebuilds sounds pretty good with the Fortune Autos.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:10 AM

Received 418 Likes on 348 Posts

The good thing about FA is that their shocks have tons of travel.