S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Got an alignment today. Help

Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got an alignment today. Help

Ok so I took my car in for an alignment. Seems not right. Any suggestions. Feels funny at high speeds and when braking hard. 100+mph. front is very touchy.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

They gave you WAY too much rear toe-in. The range they show for rear toe is absurdly high. Spec range for AP1 is more like 1/8" total to 1/4" total, and IMO you want to run at the bare minimum end of that range, or less even. The minimum they are showing is actually about the max US spec, which is already absurdly high.

Too much rear toe in has the rears working against each other. Any undulation or differential grip conditions between the rear tires and the back end will get pushed to one side. Very unnerving.

Personally, I run about 0.2 degrees total rear toe, which is just under 3/32" total. You are at 4x that!

Any time I've intentionally or inadvertently run big rear toe numbers, the handling has sucked. Not to mention tire life, which with the toe you have now will be cut by more than half.

Most street S2ks run greater rear camber than front camber. You might have them add in some rear camber (~2deg for street is fine) and possibly take away some up front.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:12 PM

Is it possible to set my camber and toe myself by copying where the marks are on the adjusters from another s2000. I don't want anyone messing with the car because where I'm from they have no idea what it is or how to work on it. At least to just get a base setting so it's good till I can take it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't attempt that. No S2000 chassis will be IDENTICAL to the next. Subframes could be aligned differently also.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Just take it back and tell them you don't want any more than 2/32" rear toe per side, or 4/32" total (1/8").
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Is there any way you would recommend to me for making a slight adjustment in my toe adjustment or camber. For example if I loosened only the toe adjuster and took it a whole notch/marking so it took away toe how much would it actually change my toe/camber. Or would it be better to leave it how it is until fixed by someone with a machine that knows what they are doing which will happen but I may have to drive an hour away to do so.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Just take it back and tell them you don't want any more than 2/32" rear toe per side, or 4/32" total (1/8").
Ok I will ask them. I believe they were unaware that my toe is adjustable. Because I told them give me the most negative they could and they gave me hardly any at all.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM

I think you're talking about camber. It doesn't look like they did much there, basically took some out of the rear on one side. -2deg per side wouldn't be bad, if you want max negative and you're stock, could get as much as -2.5.

They *did* adjust your toe, quite a bit. They made it symmetrical and gave you a ton of it. You want them to keep it symmetrical, but a lot lower. It's 3/8" total now, you want it more like 1/8" total (1/16" per side).
Old 03-28-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Zdan. Get that rear toe reduced ASAP. Running rear toe in that high will chew away your tyres in a hurry and be dangerous in the wet (my personal experience)
Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
I think you're talking about camber. It doesn't look like they did much there, basically took some out of the rear on one side. -2deg per side wouldn't be bad, if you want max negative and you're stock, could get as much as -2.5.

They *did* adjust your toe, quite a bit. They made it symmetrical and gave you a ton of it. You want them to keep it symmetrical, but a lot lower. It's 3/8" total now, you want it more like 1/8" total (1/16" per side).
Ok thanks! Yeah I can do anything to my car but when it comes to setting camber and toe I'm a noob. I could get under there and give myself max camber so it looks cool, but without the proper tools there just some things I can't do. But yes I will get it to them ASAP and talk to them and explain what I want and how it works.

Quick Reply: Got an alignment today. Help