S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

HELP Spc ball joints contacting wheel

Old 05-09-2018, 04:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HELP Spc ball joints contacting wheel

Im having an issue after installation of my front upper control arm spc ball joints. They are making contact with the inside of my 16" ap1 wheels. Has anyone had this issue before?

Part number 67220
Bag number 672204
Serial Number on ball joint 672201-115

***Disclaimer***
For you idiots who dont know what your talking about and inevitably will comment, spc ball joints can be mounted on the front with 16" wheels. But only on the back with 17" wheels.

My best bud just installed his set 2 days before I did and his fit fine.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Further details would help.

I use my AP1 wheels for winter storage...and they fit fine with my front SPC joints.

Where are they hitting?

Why are you using camber joints? -- how do you have them adjusted?

Photos?
Old 05-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure I figured it out. The only thing different between his car and my car is last year he replaced all his bushings with some aftermarket ones because his compliance bushing were torn and spinning.

Well BOTH of mine are torn bad and 1 is spinning. I thinking this is causing to much travel in the suspension and somehow is making the spc joint hit. Well Im off to pull all LCAs god damn it
Old 09-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluemetals2k
Pretty sure I figured it out. The only thing different between his car and my car is last year he replaced all his bushings with some aftermarket ones because his compliance bushing were torn and spinning.

Well BOTH of mine are torn bad and 1 is spinning. I thinking this is causing to much travel in the suspension and somehow is making the spc joint hit. Well Im off to pull all LCAs god damn it
I know it's been a while, but did you end up sorting this out?

I don't have actual contact, but one side of my car is way closer than the other...to the point of making me nervous. I'm not visualizing just how bushings or alignment can affect this clearance. It's almost like it has to be the knuckle geometry itself.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:20 PM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Its probably not compliance bushings or alignment. It would need to be severly off (broken) to make a big difference.

Again, more info will help. Pics? Other mods? Do you have roll center adjusters on the car also?
Old 09-15-2021, 04:19 AM

Wheels - 17X9 ENKEI PF01 with whatever offset TireRack would have sent me for STR.
Sway Bars - Karcepts
Lower Ball Joints - OEM

That's it for front suspension components, but I have to say the car was totaled at some point before I got it. I've found some suspect details while under it.
The pictures show some scratching on the rim from installation. It doesn't actually rub once the lug nuts are tight, but it is so much closer than the driver side. I do plan to remove the wheels and measure/inspect the knuckles, but wanted to see if OP had come to a solution here.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:01 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you might have a bent knuckle, can't really think of anything else that could cause that
Old 09-15-2021, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scigheras
I think you might have a bent knuckle, can't really think of anything else that could cause that
I agree. There isn't anything else is there? I'm not going to get to it right away, but I'll update you guys when I get some measurements.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 PM

any update. I got the same issue. The rear right SPC Lock Nut is very close to the inner part of my Rays CE28SL Wheels 17x9 +45, When I hit a deeper hole in the ground it scrapes the inside of the wheel.

But the rear left is fine with proper clearance
Old 12-02-2022, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by blusir2
any update. I got the same issue. The rear right SPC Lock Nut is very close to the inner part of my Rays CE28SL Wheels 17x9 +45, When I hit a deeper hole in the ground it scrapes the inside of the wheel.

But the rear left is fine with proper clearance
I've changed all my bushings to the Spoon ones already and still have the clearance issue of the lock nut on top of the SPC camber kit and the inner wheel

Quick Reply: HELP Spc ball joints contacting wheel