S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

how do u minimize rear end movement when power shifting

Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u minimize rear end movement when power shifting

I'm not to sure on what it's called, but I recently lowered my S on fortune auto 500''s and I'm constantly changing settings to get it comfortable but I've noticed since I lowered the car the rear end kinda feels like it wants to kick out when I'm driving fast especially from 2nd to 3rd gear. What can I do to make this go away or minimize the movement ??
Old 03-23-2016, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean while cornering or driving in a straight line?

If its moving side to side between shifts in a straight line then its probably your alignment. If youve been adjusting the height and havent had an alignment after then your toe will be off.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Maybe the increased camber makes for smaller contact patch and makes the tires easier to spin when you're powerslammin them gears with the homies.

I'm guessing that the car has not been aligned after lowering it either?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

smooth is fast. Be easier on your shifts. You'll actually be faster that way. "power shifting" the car throws the weight balance off, increases likelihood of drivetrain malfunction, and is just all around a poor idea.

What are your alignment specs?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 AM

To be honest I haven't got an alignment yet, I'm waiting on my wheels and tires to come in to do that so I can also set the camber for wheel fitment
Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisG_ap1
To be honest I haven't got an alignment yet, I'm waiting on my wheels and tires to come in to do that so I can also set the camber for wheel fitment
Go get an alignment. You don't "set camber for wheel fitment"...that's not the way it works. Camber is controlled by the angle of the hub, which is in turn dictated by the pull/push of the camber adjusters on the upper and lower a-arms. Toe is adjusted obviously by the tie rods. No matter the height and width of the wheel, the angle (camber) it is bolted to the hub is controlled by the suspension.

You will also need to recenter all those adjustments you made to the suspension, because with the alignment being all out of whack and you trying to adjust for that, correcting the alignment you will also now have to recorrect all the coilover changes you did.

Google "UK s2000 alignment" Those are the settings you'll want. 0 toe up front and I'd say 1/16 toe in the rear.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Lol ok redcelica u can put ur dictionary away now. As I said I'm waiting to get my wheels and tires to do my alignment I have to run some negative camber because I'm going with an aggressive wheel/tire set up. What u said makes absolutely no sense, no offense
Old 03-23-2016, 01:57 PM

Most here don't need a dictionary to spell common words associated with cars. Also, what he said makes perfect sense.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:01 PM

Ok I'm not gonna get into it with anyone I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything outside of getting an alignment that could cause the issue I'm having. But when someone says u don't adjust camber for wheel fitment and gives me a whole speech on camber that's when I step away from the whole thing. Thank you everyone for your input
Old 03-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

He was just shooting some knowledge your way.
What I took from your message is that A) your car must be very fast and you love power shifting in a straight line and B) you likely slammed your car and are putting low offset wheels on it that will need excessive camber.

Just get an alignment once you have your wheels and tires and check back to see if the car is still doing the same thing. Good luck

Quick Reply: how do u minimize rear end movement when power shifting