S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Max height for SakeBomb Garage FP Spec Long-Stroke Ohlins DFV Front Coilovers

Old 07-08-2022, 12:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Max height for SakeBomb Garage FP Spec Long-Stroke Ohlins DFV Front Coilovers

Finally got around to installing my bespoke FP Spec Long-Stroke Ohlins coilovers from Sakebomb garage that I ordered a while back.

When I first put the car down, I noticed that the front of vehicle was too low. I went ahead and raised the shock body out of the mounting fork to its max height (just before the unthreaded ring is shown).

I went to put the car down again and ended up with this:

Definitely lower than stock. I do like it at this height……. but I may need to raise it higher if I start bottoming out or scraping.

This is only an issue with the front coilovers not the rears (the rears can go much higher than stock).

Is this normal for being the maximum height that can be achieved in the front with this suspension?

Thanks in advance

The following users liked this post:
Claus (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 02:13 PM

I just measured the exact max height that I can achieve for the front using this method.

1) measure rim diameter
2) divide by 2 to get radius
3) measure from bottom of rim to fender
4) subtract rim radius from #3 measurement

so I got height of 321mm……I can’t go any higher from here (If I do I will expose the unthreaded ring)

stock height is approximately 14.38” or 365mm

Ohlins HOS MI21 will drop approximately 25mm to 340mm…..+15mm (from ohlins HOS MI21 mounting instructions) puts you at 355mm.

I have scraped a lot in the past. I just thought I had a little more room to play with if I needed to go higher. It seems like the SBG FP Spec sits a bit lower than the Ohlins HOS MI21.

Claus (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 04:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

What springs rates did you choose?
Old 07-09-2022, 04:54 PM

Here is my setup that I have after having a consultation with SBG:

Claus (07-10-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 05:18 PM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

These for lowering more than standard forks,think you may have to add front spring preload or put the ohlins front forks back on.Dont think you will have problems with more as plenty of room for this i would think,got 14mm on my rears,2mm front non fp m120,Or ask SB
Old 07-09-2022, 05:28 PM

Wow never seen the spec of SB FP before
Old 07-09-2022, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by noodels
These for lowering more than standard forks,think you may have to add front spring preload or put the ohlins front forks back on.Dont think you will have problems with more as plenty of room for this i would think,got 14mm on my rears,2mm front non fp m120,Or ask SB
These are the only forks that I have. The coilovers came preassemble from SBG.

On the setup sheet that I posted the ride height says 350mm.

Sent a text message to them on Thursday. I haven’t heard back from them yet. They seem to be really busy.
Old 07-09-2022, 05:38 PM

Oh ok,says at bottom to contact them in your situation regarding bottom bracket/threads ect.
I would just give more front preload 1 turn = 2.5mm iirc edit 1.5mm
Old 07-10-2022, 12:16 AM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedbird
These are the only forks that I have. The coilovers came preassemble from SBG.

On the setup sheet that I posted the ride height says 350mm.

Sent a text message to them on Thursday. I haven’t heard back from them yet. They seem to be really busy.
I haven’t had the best experience with them on after sales / technical support FWIW. They aren’t bad, but can be hard to get a hold of.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by noodels
Oh ok,says at bottom to contact them in your situation regarding bottom bracket/threads ect.
I would just give more front preload 1 turn = 2.5mm iirc
Thanks for the tip. I’ll give this a try if I am rubbing or scraping and have no other choice. The FP Spec is bespoke and specific to my setup (I am boosted) so I don’t really want to mess with the preload without consulting with SBG first.

I am curious to know if anyone else who purchased an FP Spec setup has encountered this issue?

Maybe the ride height specification on my setup sheet is wrong and this is as high as I am supposed to go?

Originally Posted by ThreeD
I haven’t had the best experience with them on after sales / technical support FWIW. They aren’t bad, but can be hard to get a hold of.
When I first installed the suspension a couple weeks back I couldn’t get the rears lower than a 3 finger gap. I reached out to SBG and they got back to me right away. It turned out that the rears was installed with 8” main springs when it should have came with 6” main springs. SBG shipped out the correct springs the same day. I had to buy a spring compressor (first time installing/uninstalling springs) to get the old springs out because they were under so much tension (33mm preload for the rears). I do hope they get back to me sometime this coming week…… something doesn’t seem right here.
Claus (07-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Max height for SakeBomb Garage FP Spec Long-Stroke Ohlins DFV Front Coilovers