S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Modified Suspension Shootout Article started out with so much promise

Old 06-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Modified Suspension Shootout Article started out with so much promise

…but it ended up being an Apples to ummm….bacon comparison.

I'm sure this is an old article but I found it as I was searching for hard performance data on coil overs.

I was excited to see Buttonwillow used as the test track since it is the track most west coast s2000 and track enthusiasts know infamously. I was also excited to see shootout between KW, Moton, Tein, Spoon, Buddy Club, Ohlins, J's, JIC all thrown into the mix.

The problem with this test though is the test bed was all over the place. You had different wheel and tire setups, ap1 vs ap2 vs ap2 dbw, aero vs oem aero vs no aero, mystery alignment setups, mystery car damage (moton equipped car), square vs staggered, street cars vs time attack cars - the only thing consistent was the crappy tire they used - a tire most of us wouldn't even consider for track purposes.

From what I have seen, the best Max Performance tire, can't hold a candle to the worst Extreme Performance tire and I'm almost certain their choice of tire compound had more influence on the spread of the performance gap than anything else.

Ironically though, they were very thorough with logging the performance of each car on track, providing suspension dyno charts and setup data on each car.

http://blog.kw-suspension.com/wp-con...k-shootout.pdf
Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

That's actually the Sport Compact Car shootout. Got transfered to Modified Mag database when SCC went under. Now that Modified is also gone, uh, no clue. Man... I think that shootout was 7 years ago? I actually just tossed that issue of SCC in the garbage when I moved a couple months ago.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

It was good reading even thought it revealed very little reliable information. Too bad some of the entries decided to cheat with mods that clearly benefitted them. One thing to get from that article is that the CR setup has the capability to out-perform many aftermarket suspensions and you don't have to slam the S2000 to make it handle well. Swapping in aftermarket parts doesn't necessarily improve the car.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still got my SCC mags, including this one. Miss those days haha