S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Is my suspension bad

Old 08-21-2023, 07:25 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Good to go!

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2023, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shrykhar
Probably. My 2005 shocks were blown and visibly leaking before 100k miles and the ride was very choppy for a long time before I noticed the leaking. The car hadn't ever seen a track or autocross either.

I went with Koni yellows on OEM springs and am very happy with them, and others will rightly sell you on the benefits of full Bilstein and Ohlins setups.

I would hesitate to buy used OEM shocks as some have done, knowing how much age and use they have accumulated, how (not) long they last, and not knowing what the previous owners did to them.
Hey there, I have a 2007 with 56k miles and the suspension just feels...'loose' and not confidence inspiring. I'm wondering about going the Koni Yellow w/ OEM springs route as well. What year is your car? How would you describe the ride now vs stock? I've heard some varying reviews, with some people say the Konis are too soft in the compression damping - any truth to that?
Old 08-22-2023, 11:52 AM

Did you read post #20 where the OP found dramatic tire pressure differences in the front tires and correcting them brought the car to more what he's familiar with? As soon as he comes over to swap cars with me on some county roads we can compare notes. Problem may be real or not.

-- Chuck
Old 08-22-2023, 10:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFred
Hey there, I have a 2007 with 56k miles and the suspension just feels...'loose' and not confidence inspiring. I'm wondering about going the Koni Yellow w/ OEM springs route as well. What year is your car? How would you describe the ride now vs stock? I've heard some varying reviews, with some people say the Konis are too soft in the compression damping - any truth to that?
I have a 2005. I like the ride and handling but unfortunately I don't think I can give you a good comparison vs stock, since I'm not sure my car has ever had healthy OEM shocks during my ownership of it.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:18 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

56k miles, shocks likely to still be fine, even with age they now are.

I'd rule out everything else before spending money on something that might make things 'worse' (imo, good condition stock shocks 'better than' new Koni, simply because of compression damping. For my use anyway. Soneone else's use, Koni could be perfect. New Koni certainly better for everyone compared to worn out stock.)
Old 08-23-2023, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
56k miles, shocks likely to still be fine, even with age they now are.

I'd rule out everything else before spending money on something that might make things 'worse' (imo, good condition stock shocks 'better than' new Koni, simply because of compression damping. For my use anyway. Soneone else's use, Koni could be perfect. New Koni certainly better for everyone compared to worn out stock.)
Good info. I've heard the stock setup is pretty unimpeachable but despite 56k miles, we're still talking about valves, rubber, etc that are all nearly 17 years old. Here in Massachusetts are roads are beyond abysmal. One thing I know is totally toast are my tires, replacing them soon, but the way the car feels I don't think will be cured by the tires. Maybe alignment? It just feels very unstable, especially in high speed sweeping on-ramps, or changing lanes on the highway. The rear seems to float over rough roads, and large bumps in the rear seem to make the car too unsettled.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:40 AM

What tires are on the car now?

Tires age-out as well as wear out. When they age out the compound is usually harder and can/will cause problems as you describe. Extreme or Max performance summer tires are recommended. No all-seasons. You're not planning on driving this in the winter, right?

-- Chuck
Old 08-23-2023, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What tires are on the car now?

Tires age-out as well as wear out. When they age out the compound is usually harder and can/will cause problems as you describe. Extreme or Max performance summer tires are recommended. No all-seasons. You're not planning on driving this in the winter, right?

-- Chuck
Definitely no driving in the winter. She sits in the garage usually from late Nov to April. The tires on there now are very old AND worn, will report back after I put on some new Bridgestones.
Old 08-23-2023, 12:46 PM

On now are 10 year old Potenza summers.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:55 PM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

I'm willing to bet that new tires and an alignment will help with a big portion of your issues.

Just because the car goes straight doesn't mean the alignment is good. I would have the alignment checked and put into spec at. a reputable place after mounting the new tires.

Quick Reply: Is my suspension bad