S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

need advise on modding my current setup

Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on modding my current setup

So, here is what i have so far:
2004 AP2
oem rims with 225 S-Drives up front and 255 S-Drives in the back.
Sitting on tein S-techs (300/300 spring rates)
stock oem struts. not blown, but not good either

I have purchased the oem '00 front and rear sway bars and my goal is I want less rolling in the turns, and a stiffer ride more suited towards a road course. Currently the car likes to dive forward when on the brakes especially in the turn. like it wants to roll over on the corner of the headlight. lol

I love the current height of the car so I dont necessarily want to change springs, so this thread is mostly about shock choice as i have covered the majority of other things. BUT, if some koni yellows and some swift spec r's will get me where i want to be in my price range, thats the route i will go. I have heard alot about that setup.
My budget is around the 900-1k range.

What is your input on my "wants"? what would work best by your track experience?

your tips and opinions are appreciated.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Save up a little bit more money and go fortune auto 510 with 13k frontc12k rear. It's a mild setup but really improves performance
Old 07-09-2013, 03:14 AM

better tires and brakes and get out there.

The best way to modify is to drive the car at or near its limit and determine what truly needs to be tweaked. You're not going to know that until you get out there and drive it yourself/ learn where the limit is.

Tip: there is no way you should be that hard on the brakes "in the turn" - if you are and you are at a decent speed there is a very good chance you'll spin
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 AM

Ok, so one vote for some 510's.

And limbo, im exagerating to emphasise the main area of concern. Im also sure once i put the ap1 sway set i will have even less roll.

Ive had 2 chin motorsports days at sebring now and those are my noted handling flaws. I have ceramic pads and the tires i used last time we were out were on their last leg. I dont like/want to go to a slick or other compound not driven on the street on a daily basis because it will give me a whole different set of feedback traits that wont be applicable in my daily use and "sporting" habbits. I just want to keep it consistant and im not out to slay everyone an an autox event or anything, i just want to imlrove my only real areas of complaint.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd do BC coilovers over fortune autos, an added plus is BCs headquarters is here in Florida in case you ever have an issue; for your budget, I think tires and rotors/pads are ideal
Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Ill give some input on your original question.

If you car feels like its got a bunch of body roll (highly likely with your current set up) then there are a couple of ways to reduce it. You are on the right track with the bigger sway bars. However if you look at different years you can pick and choose the stiffest among them. This will help with roll. Also remember a stiff bar in the front affects the handling in the rear and vice verse.

But I really think its the soft springs. I tracked on a mixed OEM suspension for a few years. Basically about your spring rates. You can get use to it but if your local track has alot of back to back corners waiting for the car to take a set during transitions can become annoying. The swift spec-R's are pretty good for an OEM like ride and they give a bit of a drop. IIRC the springs are progressive so they will be more predictable as you near the limit.

So my vote is OEM shocks if they still are good with swift spec-r's. Koni's are a good addition too since you will be installing springs as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Word! Thanks justin and ddess!
Old 07-09-2013, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tires: Hankook R-S3's

Soooo many shock options out there. I agree with limbo - tires and brakes should be your first upgrades. I listed a couple good threads with discussion about this very topic.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/100...#entry22312834

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/920...#entry21301189

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Exaggeration or not, you really shouldn't be on the brakes after turning at all (unless you're coming off them, trail braking). I'd be willing to bet that some of what you're experiencing could be resolved with driving changes, being smoother, more precise, altering your line, et

As others have said, more spring and bar will help with roll. Keep in mind Sebring is pretty bumpy though so I wouldn't overdo it if that is your intended track. Also s drives are terrible tires for the track, rs3 or star spec 2 can be dd on (among others)

You ever thought of coming out with NASA? They have an event at Sebring in October, better run and instructors are much higher caliber than chin. Plus we had 10 or so s2ks last event so lots of good advice, people to talk to / ride with.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM

I work with a guy for a porsche arive and drive company and he is also an isntructor at chin. I came from a mazda scca shop prior to the porsche shop, so i have spent alot of time in the track, just not in my personal car ya know. Like i said, not lookin to be a track ruler, ive just picked up on areas where other cars are better and id like to make those adjustments. Ill have to check the nasa stuff out limbo. Thanks

Quick Reply: need advise on modding my current setup