S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?

Old 11-25-2018, 04:40 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cenix
Per Sakebomb's response, it appears the rears were physically left the same. @SakeBomb Garage can you confirm the valving and rear lower cups are the same without changes from the old MI20 setup?

General rant: it irks me that some people will comment about absolutes without all the facts.
The valving curves for the HOS-MI20 and HOS-MI21 are different. The rear cups, stroke, physical lengths and dimensions are the same... so the same rules apply for the HOS-MI20 and 21.

The front stroke is shorter, but we have a workaround for that, pending some testing. This was most likely done to protect the fenders for higher front spring rates (without the need for helpers). In this situation what one needs to set up the car properly is: a custom chassis calculator, intimate knowledge of the chassis/setup, and helper springs. Reducing stroke is a less than ideal way to account for higher spring rates, but it's a way to protect the general public from mucking around and smashing through their fenders.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 11-25-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why did they introduce the Spacer Rings? Just to reduce friction while applying the preload? Or what was the issue?
Old 01-05-2019, 09:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone else try and can comment on the new kit ?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I won’t be installing mine until the spring time, however I will only be able to compare it to the stock suspension I have on my AP1. I’m hoping to have Billman install them so maybe he can take the car for a ride and give you better clarification on them.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMY this the wrong direction, the S2000 (especially AP1) is biased to the rear, so making it front biased is only killing the character and filosophy of the car.
For instance the Mugen NZ coilover is 7 front, 11 rear, that means 57% stiffer at the rear and people who've tried it say it does feel neutral. And remember Mugen helped at the development of the Honda S2000, they know the car better than anyone else. For me Öhlins thinks the S2000 is a german car, same as Bilstein... But as the dampers are excellent they work well in the end of the day.
Just my .02
Old 01-12-2019, 03:26 PM

I bought the coilovers under the impression that I was getting the old kit HOS-M120 as stated on my invoice. When they arrived it was the new kit HOS-M121. I’m guessing the old kits sold out and are discontinued so they sent me the new ones. No complaints here. I also bought sakebomb’s lower forks, whiteline front sway bar, FP Spec steering rack spacers and hardrace driveshaft spacers. I’ll contact Sakebomb before having them installed on my S2000 but my car is mostly street driven & taken on windy backroads.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

So what's the deal? Will they honor some sort of trade in for existing customers? Anyone look into this yet?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 AM

Unclebobby I have no clue. I’m guessing you’d have to take that up with the company you order it from. Unfortunately I didn’t get my coilovers from Sakebomb but in hind sight I probably should have. I got a great deal on them so I don’t have any complaints and can’t wait to try them out.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One maybe stupid question, is it possible to mount the fronts in the rear and the rears in the front? That way the springs rates match much better the rear biased spring rate it has from factory. Or, is there a way to do this? I really like the Öhlins and everyone is happy with them, but I don't like them to be softer in the rear than in the front.
Or, is it possible to ordered them with custom spring rates directly from Öhlins?
Old 01-16-2019, 05:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Montecarlo blue
One maybe stupid question, is it possible to mount the fronts in the rear and the rears in the front? That way the springs rates match much better the rear biased spring rate it has from factory. Or, is there a way to do this? I really like the Öhlins and everyone is happy with them, but I don't like them to be softer in the rear than in the front.
Or, is it possible to ordered them with custom spring rates directly from Öhlins?
The majority of vendors that sell these coilovers offer upgraded/custom spring rates.

Quick Reply: New Ohlins DFV Road & Track Coilovers (HOS MI21)?