S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Newbie Needs Suggestions - Pads AutoX and Light Track Use

Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needs Suggestions - Pads AutoX and Light Track Use

Hey gents,

I'm new to the S2000 game! I recently acquired a pretty clean 2003 S2000 with currently 29k on the clock. The vehicle has pretty much sat, with only about 1800 miles driven in the last 3 years. I've already changed all fluids (coolant, dif, trans) and have replaced the brake fluid with ATE Blue. The vehicle will be seeing mostly street use. Although, I'm considering using it for AutoX, and maybe taking it to a small track by me (The FIRM in Starke, FL). I've done karting, but I have no first hand experience with AutoX or Tracking so I'll be learning as I go.

Since the brake lines are almost vintage, I'll be replacing them with a fresh OEM set to keep it compliant for AutoX stock class. And I'll be changing the brake rotors for a fresh OEM set as well, or maybe some Brembo blanks.

I think almost all my bases covered in regards to getting this thing ready to go... Except for brakes pads...

I've narrowed my pad choice down to Winmax W4s, Project Mu HC+800s or Club Racers (can't decide which), or Endless MX72s. I've done some research on these already, but couldn't find much info on the Endless pads, or the Winmax pads. I've heard that the Winmax pads are pretty much Spoon pads? Is this Accurate? What does everyone prefer? What do you guys suggest?

It seems that the HC+800s have a great bite when cold so they seem like an awesome street and AutoX pad, but I'm concerned with them possibly fading at the track. Would the Club Racers be better suited?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's wrong with stock pads?
Old 08-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by kwakhead
What's wrong with stock pads?
I figured it would be better to have more braking power over stock pads. I have heard of people using them.

My worry is that I may be heavy on the brakes and over heat them when taking the car to track eventually. I worry about the brakes fading.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:29 PM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

Stock pads, sponges, bricks, newspapers, or whatever you can get your hands on can work for autocross. You're going like 40mph.

If its cold bite you're after, the HP+ is a perfect autocross pad. It won't really work on a track. It sucks on the street and will ruin your wheels.

The stoptech sport has much less bite than a HP+, but can handle very light track use. Its also cheap, and is 100% streetable.

I'd opt for actual track pads for track use.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would do Stoptech Sports with the knowledge you'll need one good stop to get them in range for autox. After you get the one stop in them, they'll stay in range. They can take track work, but if you're overslowing the car or it's really hot, the rears will over temp. Good news is they won't smear pad compound all over the rotor.

HP+ are an ok pad, but I never felt they were all that strong on really cold bite either, and they can't take heat like the Stoptech Sports. The Hawk Street/Race pad is a DTC-30, which is way too much for autox and really soft bite when cold.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DefSport
I would do Stoptech Sports with the knowledge you'll need one good stop to get them in range for autox. After you get the one stop in them, they'll stay in range. They can take track work, but if you're overslowing the car or it's really hot, the rears will over temp. Good news is they won't smear pad compound all over the rotor.

HP+ are an ok pad, but I never felt they were all that strong on really cold bite either, and they can't take heat like the Stoptech Sports. The Hawk Street/Race pad is a DTC-30, which is way too much for autox and really soft bite when cold.
Stoptech sports are great. I actually use them on my DD. They dust like crazy though. I vote OEM pads. I tracked with them for nearly 3 years and it wasn't bad. Rears wore REALLY fast though.

I've never heard that Winmax and Spoon pads were manufactured with the same compound. Not sure where that rumor came from.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 1,251 Likes on 947 Posts

I tracked ONE time with OEM pads. 8 days after purchasing the car.

MASSIVE chances of death.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Carbotech ax6 is a phenomenal autox pad. They are good for daily if you are okay with a little noise and dust. Crazy initial bite. Not recommended for track use, but if you are running a 280+ TW tire you should be fine.

For rotors, I recommend Centric Premiums
The following users liked this post:
RedCelica (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Another vote for centric rotors. No need to spend on oem rotors. No real benefit, just more cost.

My vote is stock pads for street and autox, track pads for track use. Either get another set of rotors to go with the track pads, or a reliable protocol for cleaning pad material from rotors whenever you switch back and forth.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Another vote for centric rotors. No need to spend on oem rotors. No real benefit, just more cost.

My vote is stock pads for street and autox, track pads for track use. Either get another set of rotors to go with the track pads, or a reliable protocol for cleaning pad material from rotors whenever you switch back and forth.
Yeah I was looking into Centrics, they seem like a solid cheap alternative to OEM. List price for OEM rotors is pretty damn expensive, list price is like $150 a pop! I think I'll definitely be using Centrics for track use.

I think for street and autoX I'll stay stock. I think it'd be best take the time to learn the limits of the vehicle in it's stock form.

As far as light track pads go how do Club Sports fair? I'm still a novice, and probably won't be pushing it too hard.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Suggestions - Pads AutoX and Light Track Use