S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV adjustment query

Old 06-03-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...I tried as you mentioned above and it confused me again because of the comfortness.
I turned the adjuster in clockwise (all the way) which supposed to be the hardest setting, right? And it actually gave me better comfortness. Although the car was still bumpy and bouncy like crazy, I could definitely feel the softness.

So...tried again with counter clockwise (all the way) and it gave me the stiffness and bouncy driving experience.

1. I would like to know what would cause this function swap (clock wise vs counter clockwise). still sketchy.

2. I just checked the Ohlins manual and saw the recommended distance from preload adjuster to height adjuster are 22mm for rear. My current setup is 50mm.
Front manual shows 104mm but mine is 125mm.
Could this be the reason for bouncy experience?

Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 1,272 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by virtex
Ok...I tried as you mentioned above and it confused me again because of the comfortness.
I turned the adjuster in clockwise (all the way) which supposed to be the hardest setting, right? And it actually gave me better comfortness. Although the car was still bumpy and bouncy like crazy, I could definitely feel the softness.

So...tried again with counter clockwise (all the way) and it gave me the stiffness and bouncy driving experience.

1. I would like to know what would cause this function swap (clock wise vs counter clockwise). still sketchy.

2. I just checked the Ohlins manual and saw the recommended distance from preload adjuster to height adjuster are 22mm for rear. My current setup is 50mm.
Front manual shows 104mm but mine is 125mm.
Could this be the reason for bouncy experience?

Thanks!!
Well...my question is why you keep turning the damper knob to full soft? If the damper is set too soft, it won't be able to control the spring or the car's body motion.

Think about it like this....a trampoline is very soft. But sitting on one while someone jumps up and down on it isn't comfortable because you're getting tossed around uncontrollably. Right?

The Ohlins recommendation is 10 clicks back from full stiff.

Turn fully clockwise.
Then turn 10 clicks back.

See if that's more comfortable.

I would also suggest setting preload properly.
Take the shocks off the car and set it up properly in the first place. Get a baseline setting. Then...from that point on....you can make any adjustments you need while they're on the car.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Well...my question is why you keep turning the damper knob to full soft? If the damper is set too soft, it won't be able to control the spring or the car's body motion.

Think about it like this....a trampoline is very soft. But sitting on one while someone jumps up and down on it isn't comfortable because you're getting tossed around uncontrollably. Right?

The Ohlins recommendation is 10 clicks back from full stiff.

Turn fully clockwise.
Then turn 10 clicks back.

See if that's more comfortable.

I would also suggest setting preload properly.
Take the shocks off the car and set it up properly in the first place. Get a baseline setting. Then...from that point on....you can make any adjustments you need while they're on the car.

Thanks!!! and Sorry for the late posting for an update.
I have basically reworked back and re-adjusted preload and heights.
I am now surely satisfied with current setup.. 23 clicks softness though

Thanks again!