S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: What rear preload setting did you use?
Ohlins spec (2mm)
57.69%
More preload (specify)
42.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Ohlins DFV rear preload settings

Old 11-22-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 354 Likes on 329 Posts

Great result with 12 clicks from full hard on fast rough & fast smooth roads
13mm preload on rear 8kgs springs & 10kgs up front 2mm preload
approx. 23-25mm bump stop free play <compression>
04 MY F225/R255 tyres
335mm to wheel centers F&R
No aero.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

ha. I had guessed 12mm (IIRC) for 1" (25mm) of free travel in earlier posts on *my* car But been massively lazy to try. Nice to see that your 13mm preload to yield 23-25mm free travel is pretty close.

The "ideal" seems to be all over the place. My car is pretty much put away for winter now. So...I won't know what setting I like til' spring.

I want my ride height to stay where its at now.... 12.5" from arch to wheel centre (316.5mm). Or a touch lower, if I can.

Last edited by B serious; 11-22-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:49 AM

I could go 4.5mm lower, if needed 326.5mm<335 atm>
^ think you would need more modifications then as you predicted .
Its interesting feeling the available rebound and compression that is being used on the damper stroke more,
rather than using bump stop compression as an aid so much,
guess its still being used though, but not so much.
Big thanks to Andrewhake for his time explaining in article seen below
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...1153883/page3/
Old 11-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ckowalc
Is it possible to reduce the length (cut) of the bumpstops a little in order to gain more travel? I assume you would have to make sure the shaft does not bottom out in the shock in worst case conditions but it seems like it would be the most straight-forward solution to gain travel.
Absolutely not! That bump stop is designed to the mm to protect your extremely expensive shock internals (as well as fender). If you want to buy new dampers because you crash the piston into shock body internally or slam your wheel into your fender, by all means, you can cut it... but if you look at the internal diagram of the shock, you'll change your mind
Old 11-23-2016, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by RacerZook
Added 9mm (so plus the spec 2mm bringing it to 11mm total preload) today. Gonna try it out this wednesday at thunderhill and see how big of a difference i notice. I kept the ohlins spec ride height (~25 in from ground to fender.) I dont know how you guys run the ride height so low. It makes it a real pain in the ass to jack up this car when its so low! Haha im getting old i guess.
Notice an improvement ?
Old 11-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
I completely agree with that. The question is how do you define "work very well"? For drivers not on a clock or racing, feel is how they will mostly interpret the benifit.

Back to to your point, it is a little bit of a let down the rear travel is so limited in a premium coilover. Especially one defined as road and track.
Personally I define "work very well" as NOT riding on the bump stops. 2mm pre-load on a 8K spring will give you precisely that... a 24kg bump stop with any decent amount of compression. The values in the manual (2mm on an 8K spring) put you 5mm into the bump stop (and these are not progressive bump stops). The Ohlins hardware is fantastic... Ultra-high-speed "blowoff", temp correction needle valve, super low hysteresis... we swear by these things, but the specs in the manual puts you on the stops.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:49 PM

As above,
at 2mm they are just not correct with 8kgs,
when i fitted my New suspension, I thought... oh! they are supposed to feel like this !! nice and firm..,
but they would on the bumpstops ...
I should have known better, i did chat to a guy who races an S2000<MB> explaining my issues he said sounds like the back skipping over bumps.
Whatever damper adjustment i tried on the rear, it was not working to my expectations !!
On spending LOTS of time reading here and having a vendor ^^ telling people <& me> the issue,
It makes sense when you stick your finger in and feel the clearance that the suspension is supposed to work >
=compression available ?=that's not going to work,no way as its supposed too.!!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Sponsor

Just announced the solution to your DFV rear ride height vs preload trade off! Check out the link below for details.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...ssues-1166726/

Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

Lower mount looks great. Öhlins should have made a better design. Glad you guys are putting this product out.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Sponsor

Thanks BSerious! Öhlins has a lot of trade offs to make between cost, performance and making a modular system that can easily be fit to different platforms. It's truely impressive how much performance they are able to stuff into a damper at this price point, you really can beat it until you get into the TTX/Penske/Moton price range at $5000 plus. The downside of that is to achieve the performance while being this accessible in terms of cost the lower mounts had to be like they are to allow the molecularity to easily adapt to many platforms.

At sakebomb we focus solely on s2000 and RX-7 and drive them every day so we focus on improving the individual platforms as much as possible. We want to make the cars we drive every day better and are happy to help out the community with parts like this when we can!

As an authorized dealer, we work closely with Öhlins to provide the top level experience that s2000 Öhlins customers deserve.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 12-05-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV rear preload settings