S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

OMG my DFVs

Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I don't regret spending $3000 on them right before the price dropped.
LOL. I asked Patrick if he would refund me the difference ... no answer. I also don't regret paying the higher price. They are awesome shocks.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by slomaro3.4
Originally Posted by Carbon Blue' timestamp='1408822053' post='23299024
I love these shocks, but still contemplate them because even at their suggested height per ohlins, the rear shocks have very little travel before the bump stops come into play, not that thats a bad thing just kind of odd...I might have to bum a ride with you so I can finally bite the bullet.
I set mine at stock ride height, so about 15mm (on the shock body) higher than the recommended settings. More bump travel, less droop travel.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4' timestamp='1408838191' post='23299178
[quote name='Carbon Blue' timestamp='1408822053' post='23299024']
I love these shocks, but still contemplate them because even at their suggested height per ohlins, the rear shocks have very little travel before the bump stops come into play, not that thats a bad thing just kind of odd...I might have to bum a ride with you so I can finally bite the bullet.
I set mine at stock ride height, so about 15mm (on the shock body) higher than the recommended settings. More bump travel, less droop travel.
[/quote]

Did you adjust at the spring perch? There really should be no increase/decrease in travel if adjusting ride height from the lower mount perch right?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by grubinski' timestamp='1409015915' post='23301709
[quote name='slomaro3.4' timestamp='1408838191' post='23299178']
[quote name='Carbon Blue' timestamp='1408822053' post='23299024']
[/quote]

Did you adjust at the spring perch? There really should be no increase/decrease in travel if adjusting ride height from the lower mount perch right?
[/quote]

DOH. Yes, you're correct. On these, spring travel does not get affected by ride height. Note to self: no posts after commencement of happy hour. :-)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
DOH. Yes, you're correct. On these, spring travel does not get affected by ride height. Note to self: no posts after commencement of happy hour. :-)
I was also mistaken in thinking RCAs would allow for a bit more travel as well, but not if height is adjusted from the lower perch. Could you actually adjust the spring perch though? That will just increase the spring preload right but should technically do what you said, sacrifice droop travel for more bump travel? There isn't anything that is keeping the length of the shock fixed when adjusting from the spring perch is there? Hmm.

Edit: Ah of course. This would only be possible (and avoid lots of preload) if a helper spring is being used right? Which there may not be much room for.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
I got a set from Evasive and they'll be arriving on Wednesday. VERY excited to get these put on.
How was evasive? I have had some problems with them recently not returning emails, even for very expensive orders. I went through urge for my ttx and was very happy that I did. He even checked in several months after I bought them to see how they were holding up at the track.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lalasissyboy
Originally Posted by deepbluejh' timestamp='1408828702' post='23299080
I got a set from Evasive and they'll be arriving on Wednesday. VERY excited to get these put on.
How was evasive? I have had some problems with them recently not returning emails, even for very expensive orders. I went through urge for my ttx and was very happy that I did. He even checked in several months after I bought them to see how they were holding up at the track.
Evasive was fine. They shipped quickly, sent me tracking, and I had the coilovers on my doorstep 4 days after placing my order. Everywhere else I would have waited a month to get them. I've never emailed Evasive, but their phone support has always been great for me.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski' timestamp='1409018035' post='23301750
I was also mistaken in thinking RCAs would allow for a bit more travel as well, but not if height is adjusted from the lower perch. Could you actually adjust the spring perch though? That will just increase the spring preload right but should technically do what you said, sacrifice droop travel for more bump travel? There isn't anything that is keeping the length of the shock fixed when adjusting from the spring perch is there? Hmm.

Edit: Ah of course. This would only be possible (and avoid lots of preload) if a helper spring is being used right? Which there may not be much room for.
When considering rear spring rate options for the DFV, I ran some calculations a few months ago and you could choose to run a 7" or 6" Swift spring with a helper/assist spring in order to get the static piston position into the middle of the range instead of next to the bump stop. The shorter main spring makes room for the helper and there wouldn't be any spring bind because the Swifts can compress far enough. It would likely be lighter than the included 8" setup. That's assuming you have enough spring perch adjustment in the "raise ride height" direction (or are going up in spring rate, but that's another topic).

That said, I have to wonder about Ohlins' choice to set up the shock to run that far compressed at static height because it sounds very odd, and yet I've never seen anything but glowing reviews of their ride and performance. Maybe that was on purpose? Perhaps the included bump stops have wide, progressive compression and were actually intended to be part of the overall net spring rate? Anyone have a pic of them? More importantly, does anyone have a pic of them with the car on the ground? Gernby took measurements but installed them with the dust covers on, so we can't actually confirm compression travel before bump stop engagement to make sure he calculated everything correctly.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help as mine have dust covers installed.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastD
Can't help as mine have dust covers installed.
Same. Didn't want toget caught ridin' dirty.

Quick Reply: OMG my DFVs