S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Opinion on Coilovers

Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Opinion on Coilovers

Hey guys so I need your opinions.

I'm looking to purchase some coilovers. Before I ask my question here is the plans for the car.

Daily Driver, Mountain twists in the summer with 1-2 track days a year. When I can save up enough to maintain a second car for a daily drive this car with be mainly used for the track.

So my question is, what do you guys think about the HKS Hypermax GT coilovers? Supposedly these are better for street compared to the SP. Originally I wanted to get a set of Ohlins however I dont know if I want to spend 2k on a set of coils only for them to wear out from being daily driven. I generally prefer coils over lowering springs as I like to keep my stock suspension on hand in case anything breaks since this is my daily. What are peoples thoughts on these vs a more expensive coil like Ohlins or Bilsteins?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

TLDR: HKS Hypermax GT coils vs Ohlins...thoughts?
Old 01-31-2019, 12:08 PM

I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. I dont know how to move this thread, can an admin do this for me please?
Old 01-31-2019, 02:03 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Moved.

The HKS aren't bad coilovers but if it is a choice between HKS and Ohlins the Ohlins win every time except in the price category. Its not like they are going to wear out after a short time of street driving. I love mine and wish I had just bought them from the start rather than buying cheaper coilovers. Don't bother with lowering springs IMO.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:10 PM

In your opinion what makes them so good? When I had my BRZ I was running ST Coilovers which are made by the same company who makes KWs. I got them for 700$ and I loved those coils, just stiff enough for me to really feel a difference and add some confidence to my driving, but soft enough that they felt as good if not better than stock on normal roads.

Do you think the Ohlins will outperform the HKS in terms of street driving? Im pretty sure they dominate on the track, but since I wont be seeing the track too often for the next few years I want something that makes a good street coilover
Old 01-31-2019, 02:21 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Dominating at the track has WAY more to do with setup and driving than equipment brand.

Street cars are about feel...not result. A more premium monotube coilover like the Ohlins will give you better feedback, confidence, and comfort as compared to most other brands. Doesn't mean the car is faster. Just slightly nicer to drive. Speed isn't what you're buying.

Not that the HKS are bad. Most people are happy with theirs. They're reputable. I've never driven on a set, but seems like they're solid?

I didn't love the way ST's rode on my TSX...but maybe the S2000 application is nicer. Look into those, maybe?

Fortune Auto makes customized monotube setups. For like $1200-1500. Seems like a sweet spot. THMotorsports is a site sponsor. If you speak with Will L over there, he can go over it with you. He has a set on his car.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Dominating at the track has WAY more to do with setup and driving than equipment brand.

Street cars are about feel...not result. A more premium monotube coilover like the Ohlins will give you better feedback, confidence, and comfort as compared to most other brands. Doesn't mean the car is faster. Just slightly nicer to drive. Speed isn't what you're buying.

Not that the HKS are bad. Most people are happy with theirs. They're reputable. I've never driven on a set, but seems like they're solid?

I didn't love the way ST's rode on my TSX...but maybe the S2000 application is nicer. Look into those, maybe?

Fortune Auto makes customized monotube setups. For like $1200-1500. Seems like a sweet spot. THMotorsports is a site sponsor. If you speak with Will L over there, he can go over it with you. He has a set on his car.

Thats true you are totally correct. I bought the STs on my BRZ because I wanted a good street coiler that was comfy and allowed me to push the car bit harder in the twisties as well as letting me run lower offset wheels. I might look in the ST brand again since I did like them. I honestly dont mind holding off for the Ohlins until the car becomes a more dedicated track car. However knowing the Ohlins are also great for street driving maybe I should just go with them and not spend an extra 1400$ on cheaper coils?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

My friend bought the GT's for his AP1 and found them to be too soft. From our chat he said he was "having a hell of a time getting the right look for fitment and not tearing up my fenders". He wishes he bought the SPs. Not sure how low he was trying to go though. The GT is 8/7, the SP is 16/16, such an extreme difference.

I run Ohlins and have no complaints.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
My friend bought the GT's for his AP1 and found them to be too soft. From our chat he said he was "having a hell of a time getting the right look for fitment and not tearing up my fenders". He wishes he bought the SPs. Not sure how low he was trying to go though. The GT is 8/7, the SP is 16/16, such an extreme difference.

I run Ohlins and have no complaints.
Yeah i'm not trying to go super low. its more for ride comfort and looks with some performance attached to it. However everyone is saying they have Ohlins and love them, so honestly at this point might just spend the extra 600$ and get something highly rated and quality.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I haven't ridden on the new Ohlins part number with 11K/7K springs.

The spring stagger seems very odd. I'm sure they still work.

I love my original DFV's. They came with 10/8K springs. I use 12/10K currently. Great overall setup. I had to buy pass thru rear cups to get to the height I want, though. With 10K/8K, I'd have no problem driving the car cross country (again).

If I were in the market today, I'd either buy one of the SBG spec Ohlins kits. Or if I wanted to spend less, I'd give Fortune Auto a shot.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Why I like the Ohlins is they have provided they best mix of both street comfort despite running very stiff springs. It is hard to explain why something feels better over other cheaper options. To be fair I haven't owned the HKS coilovers (driven a car with them and helped install a set great instructions with them though) or anything from KW (the frequency of rebuilds I have seen people with them do made me not consider them). Like I said the HKS coilovers aren't bad and they do have the benefit of being cheaper so if they meet your needs there is far worse options out there for about the same cost. Having spent the money on Ohlins I would gladly do it again however.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Coilovers