S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

PSS + Eibach Sway Bars vs. PSS9 + Eibach Front Sway..?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default PSS + Eibach Sway Bars vs. PSS9 + Eibach Front Sway..?

Afternoon Gents,

So after much research I've narrowed down my suspension choices to either the PSS or PSS9. My suspension budget has been limited to $1500 by the fiancé so I'm trying to max out the money in best bang for the buck.

My question is, would it be better to go with the PSS and a set of Eibach sways, or PSS9's and only upgrading my front sway to an Eibach unit? The car is an 03' with a 225/255 setup.

The only reason I'm torn on having damper adjustment or not comes down to wanting a more comfortable ride when putting around NYC and then the ability to set the struts to hard when I'm backroading out of state. From my research it would seem the PSS9's adjustment functions more like an on/off switch in that regard. In the same capacity, I've read that the PSS's handle both duties just fine.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

My previous setup was Bilstein PSS with the eibach front and rear sway bars. I had the front set to stiff and the rear set to soft and with that ratio and spring rate it was similar to that of a stock 02-03 ap1 albeit slightly stiffer. The bilstein PSS is seriously one of the best riding coilovers for street use and some weekend fun. They soak up bumps well, they are quality made, they dont make any funny noises and the construction is solid. They also have the ability to be revalved to handle higher spring rates. The car handled fine with this setup but I found that the rear eibach bar even on the softest setting was inducing more oversteer than I needed at the earlier part of corner entry which it never used to do stock. It also made getting on the gas earlier during corner exit slightly harder as well.

What is your main use for the car? will it see any track events or autox's regularly? If your car is mainly a weekender with some canyons you cant go wrong with the pss. If you plan on getting competitive and start attending track events etc i would save up for a better shock. I sold my setup and now run KW clubsports with the eibach front bar. Now that Ive had some seat time on this setup ive been able to tune out that early oversteer and have a more neutral car with slight oversteer on exit (which i like). If you must have the bilsteins go with the bilstein pss and eibach front bar (the adjuster and cash is not worthy on the pss9 due to its lack of low speed adjustment), that is a fun street setup that is not harsh at all yet stiff enough to transform the feel of the car. If you search around I would much rather go with a slightly used KWv3 coilover and that will get you the best of both worlds.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hks hipermax gt! Low spring rates + you can adjust ride height and preload separately. They will out perform the bilsteins in just about everything.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
My previous setup was Bilstein PSS with the eibach front and rear sway bars. I had the front set to stiff and the rear set to soft and with that ratio and spring rate it was similar to that of a stock 02-03 ap1 albeit slightly stiffer. The bilstein PSS is seriously one of the best riding coilovers for street use and some weekend fun. They soak up bumps well, they are quality made, they dont make any funny noises and the construction is solid. They also have the ability to be revalved to handle higher spring rates. The car handled fine with this setup but I found that the rear eibach bar even on the softest setting was inducing more oversteer than I needed at the earlier part of corner entry which it never used to do stock. It also made getting on the gas earlier during corner exit slightly harder as well.

What is your main use for the car? will it see any track events or autox's regularly? If your car is mainly a weekender with some canyons you cant go wrong with the pss. If you plan on getting competitive and start attending track events etc i would save up for a better shock. I sold my setup and now run KW clubsports with the eibach front bar. Now that Ive had some seat time on this setup ive been able to tune out that early oversteer and have a more neutral car with slight oversteer on exit (which i like). If you must have the bilsteins go with the bilstein pss and eibach front bar (the adjuster and cash is not worthy on the pss9 due to its lack of low speed adjustment), that is a fun street setup that is not harsh at all yet stiff enough to transform the feel of the car. If you search around I would much rather go with a slightly used KWv3 coilover and that will get you the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the lengthy response man. The car will mainly serve as a crusier with some spirited driving for me and the wife to enjoy. I have a turbo civic that keeps my high speed enjoyment in check, as well as my funds haha. The other option I was thinking if going with was simply adding a CR front bar to the car with ap1 rear in addition to the PSS in lieu of the Eibachs.

You seriously helped me greatly in making the decision on coils so far, now I just have to sort out my sway bar decision.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

You could actually save a lot of money assuming you can find a used cr front bar. I think the spring rate of the front bar was around the 390lbs/in range with the eibach front bar in the 400+ lbs/in range on the stiff setting. If you want to save even more money try and find a 00-01 ap1 front bar and that is within a few pounds stiffer of the cr bar. With what you said regarding vehicle use you should definitely go with the bilstein pss, I've been on a lot of different coil overs and the bilsteins are the best riding of the bunch when it comes to street use in its price range.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
You could actually save a lot of money assuming you can find a used cr front bar. I think the spring rate of the front bar was around the 390lbs/in range with the eibach front bar in the 400+ lbs/in range on the stiff setting. If you want to save even more money try and find a 00-01 ap1 front bar and that is within a few pounds stiffer of the cr bar. With what you said regarding vehicle use you should definitely go with the bilstein pss, I've been on a lot of different coil overs and the bilsteins are the best riding of the bunch when it comes to street use in its price range.
Thanks a lot for the info man. I can actually get the CR bar new from Honda for 80 bucks, which is saving me a heap over doing the Eibach front and rears for $450.

So that's it then, settled...PSS with CR up front, and MY03 rear bar. Now I can spend the remaining funds on replacing bushings. Where do you stand on OEM vs. Polyurethane?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

I'm running the Biltstein PSS with the CR front sway bar on my 2002 ap1, I have the oem rear sway bar. Purely a street driven car, and I've been very satisfied with the performance and ride.

I've got access to a brand new set of PSS9's - never used and never installed - if you want a great price on a set. They are legit, the fellow I know bought them for his S2000 but ended up selling the car before he could install the PSS9's.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

OEM bushings over polyurethane any day. More durability and better ride.

As a guy who has cars with both, adjustable and non-adjustable damper coilovers, I would have gone with the PSS9 for the added damper adjustment ability. Its a nice feature to have.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
OEM bushings over polyurethane any day. More durability and better ride.

As a guy who has cars with both, adjustable and non-adjustable damper coilovers, I would have gone with the PSS9 for the added damper adjustment ability. Its a nice feature to have.

Yea, but the problem with that is sourcing the OEM bushings, from what I understand, Honda only sells complete arms.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:08 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Which bushings are you looking to replace?

Quick Reply: PSS + Eibach Sway Bars vs. PSS9 + Eibach Front Sway..?