S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear clunking with coilovers

Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by robinson,Dec 17 2010, 01:47 PM
This is what I'm talking about. He said, according to your post, that clunking can be from spring preload. So my assumption was that he mean clunking is from any preload, and then he reccomends preload. His advice just does not make any sense.
Sorry for the confusion... He mentioned that it could be from not enough preload, which is why they recommend at least 5mm of preload.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Springs rattling around from not having any preload sounds more like a clang vs. clunk. And it would happen only on rebound when you're really going into droop, not in bump.

My bet is that it is the spherical bearing, not the spring.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your bearing theory makes a lot of sense, especially for me when it's below freezing in my state.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by robinson,Dec 18 2010, 10:17 AM
Your bearing theory makes a lot of sense, especially for me when it's below freezing in my state.
I wish it was the bearings, but like I said earlier, I realized that the rear BC coilovers do not have pillowball top hats. They still have the aluminum top hat, but there are solid rubber bushings installed in them. The fronts are the only ones that have pillowball mounts.

Did a ton of driving today, and hit PLENTY of extreme/huge bumps on the freeway... yet the sound would not show. I just don't get it. Seems to be something that only happens between 0-20 mph. Axles possibly? They do seem to have some side to side play.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Tein RS coilovers and I get the same clunk. I have tried to troubleshoot it many times with no sucess. The bearingexplanation does sound legit. I don't see what else it could be.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by FISH22,Dec 18 2010, 11:23 AM
I wish it was the bearings, but like I said earlier, I realized that the rear BC coilovers do not have pillowball top hats. They still have the aluminum top hat, but there are solid rubber bushings installed in them. The fronts are the only ones that have pillowball mounts.

Did a ton of driving today, and hit PLENTY of extreme/huge bumps on the freeway... yet the sound would not show. I just don't get it. Seems to be something that only happens between 0-20 mph. Axles possibly? They do seem to have some side to side play.
You can't hear any noise on high speed mph, but it's there, you just can not hear it because a lot road noise and windy. But if you really try hard to catch it, you will feel that noise is still there.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM

It is hard for me to say it is cold weather temp, i also do hearing it that when it's warm weather in here dallas. It gets more noisy when time goes by, ( example, if i try something today like tight nut or clean or whatever. Noisy gets little quite but it gets louder few days later.)
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM

Well, I observed it more today...

Most of it is coming from the left rear corner, and it's not so much a clunking, but more of a hollow tap/pop. And of course, it only happens on random bumps. Extremely frustrating. I have thought about the possibilities that it's shock going back. This weekend I may disassemble the coilover and see how the shock operates by itself.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Did some work on the car tonight...

Removed the rear driver side coilover from the car. Completely disassembled the top hat. While the coilover was out, I gave a few good shakes to the hub, to move the suspension up and down. Was completely smooth and no sounds. Everything on the coilover also looked snug and good.

Went for a drive tonight, and the sound is still there. Possibly something with the axles?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

without hearing it i cant say for sure but im going to tend to agree with Bryan on this. Usually when i hear a thunk in back on someones car on coilovers its either a crappy coilover with bad pillowball bearing in the mount, or the nut on the damper that holds the hat to the damper isnt torqued down enough. Just my 2 cents from experiences here.

Quick Reply: Rear clunking with coilovers