S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Rear suspension knock - What is it?

Old 11-14-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rear suspension knock - What is it?

This in a MY04 AP1 (UK) model.

Having a mare of a time trying to fix a left rear suspension knock. I does not knock over speed bumps in a straight line, but rolling over uneven road surface or ruts in the road will cause it to knock.

First of all I replaced the rear drop links with new, No difference, then I suspected it sounded like a broken spring, which I checked and that was ok too. It will knock over the smallest rut in the road sometimes, but driving over speed humps rarely causes the clunk / knock.

I was then left with the suspicion that it must be the damper which is knocking. So I've now replaced the rear suspension spring and damper.
It is Still KNOCKING.

I have been under the car several times, and pulled, pried and shaken everything and I cant see what would cause it...
I am now thinking its related to the rear diff mounts or something further in under the car which I haven't checked...

Anyone else had this?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:51 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

'Drop links' is uk speak for swaybar end links? It does seem like a swaybar thing, since it only happens when one side is lifted. Maybe try removing swaybar, just to drive over some bumps, to see if noise is affected. Obviously need to refrain from pushing car in corners with bar disconnected.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:51 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you sure something isn't loose in the boot? If you've replaced the drop links, shocks and springs you've pretty much illuminated the noise coming from the suspension. Do a final check on the bushes to make sure there not knackered but failing that get the trim out of the boot and make sure there isn't something loose in there.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Spring is seated well at full suspension droop?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
I've replaced the whole rear strut with a good used item, so the spring is well seated I've not touched it.
I've had all the trim out the boot to get to the top mount bolts and I've checked the spare wheel isn't loose.
It sounds like the rear subframe is loose or something. I might just check the bolts on that and go over the diff mounts as well.
I agree with the comment about the movement from left to right causing the sound...which points to sway bar mounts
It feels like when the car drops into a hole the knock happens

I had to stand/bounce on the rear disk to get the bottom bolt aligned and back in, and there we no noises whilst messing with that.
I lifted the car off the stand to compress the suspension before I torqued the bolts up too - as per manual.

Last edited by H10NDR; 11-14-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny. I have the same issue. after replacing every possible bushing and ballpoint in the suspension, I still have this noise. at this point I know it's nothing suspension related, helps me sleep at night
Old 11-17-2016, 05:08 AM

Coming to the thinking that its a bush somewhere but will need good weather and some time at the weekend to have a poke around underneath.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you found the problem?