S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

SBG rear RX-8 caliper BBK installation issue

Old 12-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Default SBG rear RX-8 caliper BBK installation issue

Hey all,

I'm trying to install the SBG rear RX-8 caliper kit and ran into an issue. They supply a number of relocation brackets to lightly shift the positions of the e-brake cables. I'm finding the driver's side inner bracket doesn't fit on my car, as my mounting point design appears to be different from what's in their installation instructions. Here's what it looks like in their instructions:

And here is the real world. I've removed the stock bracket and am trying to attach their relocation bracket (you can see it hanging out at the top-right here). Note the metal lip circled, which isn't in their instructions, and which blocks the piece of their bracket that's supposed to jut down and to the right.

I assume this is a model year difference. Has anyone installed the SBG kit on a 2006+? I have to assume I'm not the first person to run into this issue, but I can't see any way I could be screwing this up—it just doesn't appear to fit.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:59 PM

Received 1,273 Likes on 961 Posts

You've contacted SBG?
Old 12-16-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You've contacted SBG?
Of course. I started this thread before they'd gotten back to me. Heard back from Heath now, but it seems he's unfamiliar with the setup in my car. I guess no one with an AP2V2 has actually bought this kit before! Waiting to see what he can do right now. Hoping they'll find a way to make a bracket that works, and in the meantime maybe I can just zip tie the cable there to keep it from flopping around.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:16 AM

So yeah, I zip tied the cable in place for now, and they're hoping to get an AP2V2 in their shop at some point so they can work out a bracket that will work. If any of you are local customers of theirs with an 06+ car and wanted to help out...

For what it's worth, here's the RX-8 caliper and SBG rotor installed:

And my new Wilwood/AP Racing fronts:

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 12-19-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 AM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

A metal lined P clip,thats what my civic has.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Are the brake lines included in the Sakebomb kit the same as OEM rear brake lines?
Old 12-25-2019, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by awhit17
Are the brake lines included in the Sakebomb kit the same as OEM rear brake lines?
They're basically the same as my SOS stainless lines. So they should fit the OEM calipers. The OEM lines are rubber and SBG says they won't work with the RX-8 calipers—I'm not sure why.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:00 AM

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting. My car is on ‘07 and I installed this kit a few months ago. Don’t recall having any mounting issues, but I’ll check my configuration ASAP. Unfortunately my car is currently at a body shop getting new Vaikhari front fenders installed so it may be a while before I get the opportunity.

I’m local to SBG and plan to take my car over for an alignment anyway, so if Heath still needs a car in 1-2 weeks I’ll be there.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by j.mart
Interesting. My car is on ‘07 and I installed this kit a few months ago. Don’t recall having any mounting issues, but I’ll check my configuration ASAP. Unfortunately my car is currently at a body shop getting new Vaikhari front fenders installed so it may be a while before I get the opportunity.

I’m local to SBG and plan to take my car over for an alignment anyway, so if Heath still needs a car in 1-2 weeks I’ll be there.
Oh, that's excellent, thank you! Would be perfect if you could get under the car and take a picture of the inner driver's side e-brake mounting bracket to see if it's the same as mine above, or if it's like the one in their instructions. If it's like mine, I can't imagine how the bracket that came with their kit could have fit, but would definitely be interesting to see what you've got!

Quick Reply: SBG rear RX-8 caliper BBK installation issue