S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK

Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK

Hey guys, have been stumped with this decision for a bit now...

Trying to decide between Spoon calipers or the Stoptech BBK(328mm kit). I can get both for about the same price. So it really comes down to which kit offers more. Obviously, the Stoptech BBK comes with everything needed for a whole new brake setup up front. While the Spoon calipers only come with, well... calipers.

The reason why I'm torn, is because I know the Spoon calipers will definitely be a cheaper investment down the road(for rotors and pads). Not even sure what the cost would be for new pads and rotors for the Stoptechs, especially considering they're a two piece rotor.

My car is not tracked, so max "track" performance is not a concern. They are both a 4 piston caliper, but the Stoptech is a bigger rotor, and I'm assuming bigger caliper than the Spoon?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not expert but here are my views:

Spoon=expensive/JDM. However, they are monoblock and won't expand as much a twin block design. According to Spoon, their design should keep similar brake bias and utilize a similar about of fluid to oem calipers whereas bbks are bigger and may require more fluid displacement, upsetting bias/pedal feel.

Unless you want more bling, things like bbk are not worth it. Though if you tracked, it would be nice to be able to change out pads on bbk and the 2 piece rotor should help with cooling the brake system and hub assembly.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go with stoptech. i had the same debate before getting my kit and felt that with the spoon, you're getting caliper rigidity, but not the full benefits of upgrading your brakes (in this case, the extra heat capacity). if you track your car from time to time, i say go stoptech, especially since they're about the same price.

the con with stoptech is that it's harder to clear, rim-wise. the two piece rotors don't cost too too much and should far outlast oem rotors if tracked frequently.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by petawabit,Oct 27 2010, 07:30 AM
the two piece rotors don't cost too too much and should far outlast oem rotors if tracked frequently.
I'm not sure on price, but I track my car and this would be a very nice feature...
Old 10-27-2010, 07:44 AM

Pewtarabbit, would you know the weight difference between stock vs stoptech? Also, have you had any caliper flex? And how practical/dificult is the pad replacement process.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pad swaps on Stoptech calipers are SUPER easy - remove the bridge (2 screws on the ST40) and pull the pads out. The vanes of the Stoptech rotors are much better than stock. While the Stoptechs are not a monoblock setup, I've had no issues with caliper flex.

I'd go with the Stoptech setup for sure. They are engineered extremely well. If they are the same price as Spoons, the Stoptech kit gives you floating rotors, SS Lines and Pads.

I've never seen a Stoptech bleeder valve blowout on track. Spoons, I've seen two cases.

Note that you'll have to play with F/R pad combos to get the bias right. Based on my use, the bias is close to stock, but not perfect.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks very much guys!

Doing more thinking about it today, I'm definitely leaning more towards the Stoptech kit. It just seems to be an almost no-brainer when it comes to it being a COMPLETE kit.

As for the wheel fitment. I'm not TOO worried about that. My current wheels are 17x9 +45 Advan RSs all around.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by circuitclub,Oct 27 2010, 07:44 AM
Pewtarabbit, would you know the weight difference between stock vs stoptech? Also, have you had any caliper flex? And how practical/dificult is the pad replacement process.
I believe the stoptechs are lighter, overall, than the OEM set up. one of the things I noticed most was the caliper flex from the OEM setup that seemed to be eliminated with the stoptechs (under very hard braking).
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 AM

How is the Stoptech's finish holding up? Considering they're a gloss finish, I'd assume they're really easy to clean?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by modMonkey,Oct 27 2010, 10:56 AM
Pad swaps on Stoptech calipers are SUPER easy - remove the bridge (2 screws on the ST40) and pull the pads out. The vanes of the Stoptech rotors are much better than stock. While the Stoptechs are not a monoblock setup, I've had no issues with caliper flex.

I'd go with the Stoptech setup for sure. They are engineered extremely well. If they are the same price as Spoons, the Stoptech kit gives you floating rotors, SS Lines and Pads.

I've never seen a Stoptech bleeder valve blowout on track. Spoons, I've seen two cases.

Note that you'll have to play with F/R pad combos to get the bias right. Based on my use, the bias is close to stock, but not perfect.
I've been considering getting the Spoon calipers for a while to improve pedal feel and susp. response/reduce unsprung weight. I drive my car on the street so, these things would be nice.

Guess I should look into the Stoptechs as well. I track my car at HPDE and open track days. Heat/pedal feel is pretty important, as is rotor wear/cost.

Quick Reply: Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK