S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK

Old 10-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I was considering buying a set of Spoon calipers but one owner of them told me he didn't feel any braking improvement when used in daily driving. I don't see the point of the upgrade if it doesn't improve braking. I'd rather go for a full BBK upgrade at least you'll get to feel the difference , improved calipers should accompany improved rotors and pads for maximum benefit.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the stoptech kit because the Spoon calipers are not a big brake kit, they aren't really an "upgrade". They are aluminum and dissapate heat differently than the stock iron calipers, but you use the same pad, same rotor, and so brake torque and friction doesn't change, so its just less weigh, it doesnt improve one cold 60-0 stop at all.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert,Oct 28 2010, 01:27 AM
Go with the stoptech kit because the Spoon calipers are not a big brake kit, they aren't really an "upgrade". They are aluminum and dissapate heat differently than the stock iron calipers, but you use the same pad, same rotor, and so brake torque and friction doesn't change, so its just less weigh, it doesnt improve one cold 60-0 stop at all.
yeah they just look nice, that's about all I can tell. The more Spoon products I see nowadays the more I think that they are not well engineered or planned out.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by BrakeExpert,Oct 28 2010, 07:27 AM
so its just less weigh, it doesnt improve one cold 60-0 stop at all.
Maybe it's a silly question... but did someone ever did a 60-0 comparison between a car with Stoptech BBK and a car with stock brakes? with equivalent pads/pad temperature and same tires (with a S2000 of course).

In principle "less weight" (unsprung) its definitely an improvement, but the "increased stopping power" of the Stoptech BBK sounds more like a myth... (until proven)
Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The stopping distance between stock and a BBK during one stop will be almost identical. It's the ability to dissipate heat during repeated hard braking that is where a BBK will stand out. For street driving they both will just be for looks but I'd rather have the Stoptech kit because at least you know the performance is there if you ever needed it.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Info on the StopTechs:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/ar...dont-break.aspx

Some track info:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/ar...-the-track.aspx
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm with petawabit and his comments. same deal here--i called around and due to the exchange rate and some other factors, they are similarly priced. $$$ is a major consideration for me, and thus rotor costs would be part of the equation. but it's not too bad to replace rotors since you don't have to change the hat--just the actual braking piece.

the other HUGE advantage to the stoptech is that they are local to me, but otherwise have people all over us that can rebuild them. dunno if anyone can rebuild the spoons in us. and eventually if you track enough, they WILL have to be rebuilt.

and of course, caliper performance would probably be the same between the two, but the rotors of the stoptechs are much better--lighter, better venting, and since they are 2-piece, also the positives of that (heat transfer, expansion room, etc.)

so... kinda a no brainer. if the spoons were 1/2 the price, i guess it would be another story.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:22 PM

Here is what I have found on the differences:

1. Spoon utilizes a OEM S2000 pad and rotor. Getting pads for a OEM caliper are much cheaper than for Stoptechs; as well as the rotors.

2. Spoon still allows the proper use of ABS. Because of the sizing of the caliper on the Stoptech, it does not proper engage the ABS in the S2000.

3. Stoptech's larger rotors dissipate heat much better than the OEM S2000 rotor and the larger rotor has an increase capacity to handle higher heat.

4. Both offer shorter stopping distances

5. Stoptechs will require you to find a balance between the front and rear pad setups.

I chose the Brembo BBK for the benefit of having a larger rotor, shorter stopping distances, and the ability to retain the ABS system working in full capacity. Most people don't know that when they install BBK's most kits aren't designed to keep the ABS system. Hope that helps!
Old 10-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A51_AP1,Oct 28 2010, 04:22 PM
2. Spoon still allows the proper use of ABS. Because of the sizing of the caliper on the Stoptech, it does not proper engage the ABS in the S2000.

4. Both offer shorter stopping distances
hi a51,

you confirmed #2? i know that lpi measured the brembos to displace the same volume as oem's, but they did not positively say stoptechs do not. in fact, i do not think the word "stoptech" was in that document i read on their site. nor have i ever read anywhere that stoptechs positively are incompatible. i'm sure if you call stoptech, they'd say it was tested to work with abs.

here's the article i'm talking about:
http://www.lpiracing.com/Honda-S2000...Kits-c9136.htm

also, as stated above by others, #4 is not true. your stopping distance is limited by the traction available to your tires.

EDIT: i just got off the phone with Stoptech. they said that the volume displaced actually should differ from oem (this contradicts lpi, fyi.) they said their volumes are modified to give the proper torque ratio between front and rear, but maintaining abs compatibility. the tech assured me several times that abs compatiblity is their #1 priority, and guarantees abs to work. so, anyway, that's what the guy said. not too sure myself, since it does make sense to me the abs system should be sensitive to volume. i dunno.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

The StopTechs work perfectly fine with the ABS on my car. Also, the brake bias is just fine, if not a tad better than stock; it is a bit forward biased in my opinion stock and the StopTechs seem a hair more neutral. Perhaps more evidence of this is that I get a significantly more even brake dust on the wheels. On the stock setup, got a ton of brake dust on the fronts and not much on the rear. With the StopTechs, I get a more even brake dust accumulation.

Quick Reply: Spoon calipers vs. Stoptech BBK