S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

spoon calipers....is it worth it?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spoon calipers....is it worth it?

anyone know if the pretty blue spoon caliper provide better braking or is it just show? they fit over OEM rotor right?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spoon calipers work well on my 06. I also have spoon rotors and goodridge stainless lines. For everyday driving they are basically pointless as far as being better than the stockers, but they look baller especially with the drilled rotors. They will fit the stock rotors and will accept th stock pads as well. As for the wheels they would not fit behind my stock ones. I have 19'' konigs now and they clear just fine. The stock wheel just did not have enough clearance around the outer edge. The spoon calipers are somewhat thicker than the stockers and require a wheel with more offset.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by aznsupastar,Feb 21 2010, 10:15 PM
anyone know if the pretty blue spoon caliper provide better braking or is it just show? they fit over OEM rotor right?
If you're only using them for street driving, then yes, just for show.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 AM

i track often, so i'm wondering if the spoon caliper will provide better braking over stock.

what typical offset is needed to clear the caliper? +45 on a 8 or 8.5 wide be enough?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Are you running out of brakes with the stock setup at the end of your longest run sessions? If so, have you tried different pads and/or fluid?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then it may be time for you to look at upgraded calipers/rotors.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like them. they provide much better pedal feel. they are much stiffer then stock. when doing brake sequencing on my car, i can see the stock caliper flexing. uneven pad wear only confirms it. you also lose 5 lbs of unsprung weight per corner. all that said, i don't think they are worth msrp. if you can find a nice set used, i would say go for it.

-Dino
Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I can believe that. Of course braided stainless brake lines can make the stock brakes feel a little stiffer as well...

I can agree that the fixed four-piston calipers are superior, but if "better" means shorter braking distances, then they aren't better than stockers with appropriate pads and fluid, at least on stockish hp S2000s.

For my usage (stock car, track days/time trials ~8days/yr), I wouldn't even consider spending less $$$ for used Spoon brakes (or other BBK). Stock (w/ pads and fluid) gives me enough to lock the wheels at the end of my longest run sessions (~20min.), with a fully firm pedal. That's all I need.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan,Feb 24 2010, 11:56 AM
For my usage (stock car, track days/time trials ~8days/yr), I wouldn't even consider spending less $$$ for used Spoon brakes (or other BBK). Stock (w/ pads and fluid) gives me enough to lock the wheels at the end of my longest run sessions (~20min.), with a fully firm pedal. That's all I need.
Very useful information. Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, if ya think about it, they use the same pad and rotor as stock. So Its a weight reduction more than it is a brake upgrade, since they are lighter, they actually hold less heat than stock, so for fade resistance, they don't really help. For their price (new) you could go with a bigger rotor and caliper that uses a bigger pad, that would help quite a lot more.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do think they help with fade resistance. But if braking distances are your concern, I'd look at better tires first.

Quick Reply: spoon calipers....is it worth it?