S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Spoon Springs

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 AM
bio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Springs

Hi guys, after some search about lowering springs, I decided to go with the Spoon progressive springs.

After installing them on my car I was bit disapointed. The back was ok, but the front of the car seemed to be pretty much the same that it was before!

So, now I've got my back lower than my front, and the car looks a bit weird.

Is this common with the Spoon Springs?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you certain you didn't install the rear springs on the front and the front springs on the rear?
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
bio

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
Are you certain you didn't install the rear springs on the front and the front springs on the rear?
Is that possible? The springs were installed at the mechanic shop, but I think the rears and fronts are diferent, and are not possible to mount in switched positions.

Anyone with Spoon Springs out there?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM

Pull your wheels off and look for the part number on the springs and call the shop where you bought them and check to ensure they were not installed backwards. GT Motoring sells spoon products and all the high end JDM brands so I would think they would have the proper knowledge. Installing them backwards is possible so find out cause no spring setup is going to have your front end higher unless its a baja or rally vehicle.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar experience with eibach springs, but it turned out they didn't preload the front upper wishbone before tightening all the bolts. It's easy for you to do yourself with just a 17mm socket, ratchet and torque wrench.

1) First park up on level ground - take a quick measurement of the front ride height to compare before and after.
2) Unlock the steering and turn it fully left - this will allow you to reach the front upper wishbone bolt on your drivers side and the rear bolt on the passengers side.
3) Turn the wheel fully right and repeat for the remaining two bolts.
4) Back off the bolts by a couple of turns, being careful not to fully loosen them - you just want to take any binding off the upper wishbone bushes.
5) Now you can take the car for a very slow drive! No more than 10 or 15 mph, just around your street, find a couple of speed bumps or similar to exercise the suspension a little. Alternatively you can stand on the sills with the doors open and bounce up and down a few times!
6) Now measure the ride height again - if preload was your problem you should be lower now. If you're happy with it tighten the four bolts back up (97.6ft/lbs)

Of course you'll also need to have the car re aligned if there is a big difference between before and after. When I did this on mine I got about 12 or 13 mm on each side. Best thing is it only takes 20 minutes to do!