S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Square Ohlins DFV Damper and Sway Settings?

Old 10-18-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 1,258 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by yessamgerg
Your misconception is that 0.6" is anywhere near enough clearance to the bumpstop. You measured that without a driver in the car, the driver sits almost entirely over the rear axle so let's say 125lbs on the rear axle. You probably didn't have a full tank of gas so we will say another 60lbs, entirely on the rear axle. You claim your car is 130 lbs lighter than stock, let's say 65 lbs is on the rear of the car. That means while driving a stock car you have 125lbs more on each rear wheel. To correct for load at the spring 125/0.575=217lbs. An 8k spring is 450lbs/in meaning 0.47" of compression vs your value. Through in the fact that most people forget to relax their control arm bushings and that equals most people are sitting on their bumpstops while actually driving their cars. Additionally on your car will hit the bumpstop with only a 1.25G bump (in industry 1G is the car sitting still), this is a tiny bump at which point your 450lb spring becomes a 2000lb/in spring. Unless you drive around on glass you are going to be constantly hitting the bumpstop. As you go closer to stock weight with a driver and topped off tank you will be riding around on the bumpstops the entire time.
This calculation.

You only calculated the 447LB spring being compressed by your corrected factor.

Where is the ~250LB/in airspring charge that would be needed for your "additional force provided by the LCA" equation to work?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:13 PM

What about the bushing deflection in your calculation?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:16 PM

Like I said...I'm not insulting you. I just don't understand it the way you're explaining.

Can you please explain what you're saying from the top?

I'm willing to agree with you if you can explain it.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:26 PM

If the DFV has a very heavy air spring like you're saying, then why is 0.6" of free travel not sufficient?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
Like I said...I'm not insulting you. I just don't understand it the way you're explaining.

@B Serious

yessamgerg is correct. I understand that its confusing that the spring force is more than the weight of the car but think about the lower control arm. The entire unsprung mass needs to be supported by the outer ball joint right? The lever arm of the ball joint is longer than the lever arm of the damper. Therefor the damper force is higher due to its shorter lever length. The reason that the shock tower force is greater than the weight of the car is that the lower control arm actually pulls down on the chassis due to the lever effect.

If you check out our post on motion ratios we derive the steps for how to calculate spring force from wheel loads. Its also important to take into account the gas preload which is about 50+/- pounds on the DFV.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/116...motion-ratios/
Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I clocked my bushings.

what does the airspring charge of the DFV equate to in LB?
It depends on the diameter of the shaft, the diameter of the piston, the height of the air chamber (as a proxy for volume) when it is charged, and initial nitrogen pressure.

For a 5/8" shaft (probably larger than the DFV), 36mm piston, 5" of travel, 5" height of the nitrogen chamber and an initial charge of 180psi you would have about 50# of initial force and a rate at ride height of about 6 lb/in. With a 550 lb/in spring (10 kg/mm), That would mean maybe 1/10th of inch static ride height and about 1% change in spring rate...neither really noticeable.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1476828487' post='24087063
I clocked my bushings.

what does the airspring charge of the DFV equate to in LB?
It depends on the diameter of the shaft, the diameter of the piston, the height of the air chamber (as a proxy for volume) when it is charged, and initial nitrogen pressure.

For a 5/8" shaft (probably larger than the DFV), 36mm piston, 5" of travel, 5" height of the nitrogen chamber and an initial charge of 180psi you would have about 50# of initial force and a rate at ride height of about 6 lb/in. With a 550 lb/in spring (10 kg/mm), That would mean maybe 1/10th of inch static ride height and about 1% change in spring rate...neither really noticeable.
~50 lbs is what we measured, the change in spring rate is pretty negligible but the added preload is about 5% of static spring force. Most people don't really need it as they also aren't going to account for the bushing binding, gas level etc.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Originally Posted by B serious' timestamp='1476829002' post='24087074

@B Serious

yessamgerg is correct. I understand that its confusing that the spring force is more than the weight of the car but think about the lower control arm. The entire unsprung mass needs to be supported by the outer ball joint right? The lever arm of the ball joint is longer than the lever arm of the damper. Therefor the damper force is higher due to its shorter lever length. The reason that the shock tower force is greater than the weight of the car is that the lower control arm actually pulls down on the chassis due to the lever effect.

If you check out our post on motion ratios we derive the steps for how to calculate spring force from wheel loads. Its also important to take into account the gas preload which is about 50+/- pounds on the DFV.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/116...motion-ratios/

Ah! Honestly, I did think about it further and I would have to agree that I overlooked point C.

I guess I was wrong!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:40 PM

I actually had an "ah ha!" moment when I was driving lol. Was waiting to park before admitting my misunderstanding.

But...again...my spring compressed 1.53".

Taking into account the 35LB preload from the initial 2mm and the 50LB airspring force, that's like 769ish LB being put into my spring.

Some of that can be accounted for because the spring sits at an angle.

So even with point C accounted, the car is pushing like 680? LB vertical downward force per corner.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:47 PM

FWIW, in my mind's "free body diagram", I kept imagining "point C" anchored to the ground.

:hammer:

Quick Reply: Square Ohlins DFV Damper and Sway Settings?