S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Square spring rates with staggered wheel setup... is it going to suck?

Old 10-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Square spring rates with staggered wheel setup... is it going to suck?

Hi yall,

Planning to go square in the future but have two lovely sets of staggered wheels/tires to get through. Will going with a square spring rate such as the SB FPsport Ohlins setup going to suck for spirited non track driving or will i not even notice? Right now I find the stock suspension to be quite forgiving on my 2007, can't really rotate it on the streets without being really stupid.

Cheers!

Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Some good things here to compare all MYs & Balance for spring rates,arbs ect
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...1183541/page3/
Old 10-26-2018, 12:24 PM

oh wow, thats a really good thread to go through. Thanks! I'll have to see what I can figure out from there.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

You're really planning on pushing the car hard enough on the street to experience understeer or oversteer? As in...you plan to turn at high enough speed or force to break traction on one set of wheels?

Its a bad plan. Because that situation usually ends in a crash.

For "spirited" driving, you really shouldn't notice either one with virtually any setup.

Also...a car will behave how you make it behave. Because you're the one driving it.

Notice every single over/under steer thread made in the past 800 years never ends with an actual answer. Because there isn't one.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You're really planning on pushing the car hard enough on the street to experience understeer or oversteer? As in...you plan to turn at high enough speed or force to break traction on one set of wheels?

Its a bad plan. Because that situation usually ends in a crash.

For "spirited" driving, you really shouldn't notice either one with virtually any setup.

Also...a car will behave how you make it behave. Because you're the one driving it.

Notice every single over/under steer thread made in the past 800 years never ends with an actual answer. Because there isn't one.
Thanks dad. If I crash I'm responsible enough that I'll be the only one hurt physically. My wife says she'll be fine because I got life insurance. I don't autox now but could change later. I have greater interest in getting into tracking once the 'local' track gets finished. There's never a right or wrong answer to opinion type questions but thanks for yours. I am only looking for input on how to build this car further into something I can love even more.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:53 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

So how is it exactly that you can be sure that if you crash on the street no one else will get hurt?
Old 10-27-2018, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
So how is it exactly that you can be sure that if you crash on the street no one else will get hurt?
Maybe excluding that guy that walks on the road at 1am or those Russian scammers that jump in front of your cars?

Thanks for the thread derailment.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:57 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by panda-R
Thanks dad. If I crash I'm responsible enough that I'll be the only one hurt physically. My wife says she'll be fine because I got life insurance. I don't autox now but could change later. I have greater interest in getting into tracking once the 'local' track gets finished. There's never a right or wrong answer to opinion type questions but thanks for yours. I am only looking for input on how to build this car further into something I can love even more.

No son of mine would have such bad comprehension skills!

Calmly read the post, bruv. I'm saying that no matter what setup you have...unless you are crashing the car, you likely won't notice under/over steer on the street.

If you do, you can dial it out one way or the other (usually by driving it differently...because it doesnt do anything on its own). Street cars aren't about result. They're about feel. Make the car drive well by feel. Disregard technical things like over/understeer unless you're tracking it.

FYI, the factory springs are almost square on most model years of S2000. Usually, slightly stiffer in the rear. The wheel rates kinda put the effective rates almost exactly square. The car has slightly less shock travel in the rear...but a slightly bigger MR. So...again, pretty much effectively square.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
No son of mine would have such bad comprehension skills!

Calmly read the post, bruv. I'm saying that no matter what setup you have...unless you are crashing the car, you likely won't notice under/over steer on the street.

If you do, you can dial it out one way or the other (usually by driving it differently...because it doesnt do anything on its own). Street cars aren't about result. They're about feel. Make the car drive well by feel. Disregard technical things like over/understeer unless you're tracking it.

FYI, the factory springs are almost square on most model years of S2000. Usually, slightly stiffer in the rear. The wheel rates kinda put the effective rates almost exactly square. The car has slightly less shock travel in the rear...but a slightly bigger MR. So...again, pretty much effectively square.
Sorry dad, i didn't mean it that way. I just sometimes end up sounding like an internet troll.

What I took away from your last post was spring rates that can induce oversteer/understeer wouldn't necessarily affect the low speed fun/handling that this car has so I don't need to worry about it significantly with my current staggered wheel setup. Anyway, I'm just looking at planning down the road when we get a track I can actually go to and having the mostly right suspension in place for when that time comes. Going square after these tires are done and the track should be close to be ready. In the meantime, I will enjoy the s2k on the streets in a responsible manner, taking out as many russian scammers as I can.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Lol, what? There are lots of variables to consider but one will absolutely notice how the car will transition from being neutral/understeery to being more oversteer prone, on the street just by going with a square set-up, even under moderate driving. Can it be controlled, depends on your abilities.

Quick Reply: Square spring rates with staggered wheel setup... is it going to suck?