S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Street pads with more initial bite?

Old 04-26-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I was going to say, the HP+ is fine as a street pad if you're used to track pads and are tired of the bus level noise that happens on occasion... but not for someone looking for dead quiet
Old 04-26-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

HP+ really aren't all that loud, in my experience.

But the dust will stain your entire universe.

Also, OP is gone AF.

We could say anything we want and it wouldn't matter.

I use bricks of cheese for maximum bite.
The following 2 users liked this post by B serious:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-27-2018), rokkerkory (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious

Also, OP is gone AF.

That provolone gives the car a nice Wisconsin-y smell.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
That provolone gives the car a nice Wisconsin-y smell.

Tru tru, plus its easy on rotors and delicious for garage mice
Old 04-27-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
After lots of research, I settled on the WinMax W2. They seemed to meet all of my needs and have gotten good reviews and were just a small step up from OEM pads. I incorrectly bed them in (treated them like a track pad) initially and glazed the pads. I eventually got them bed in properly and they are exactly what I was looking for, albeit a bit more dust than I was expecting. The car has much better initial bite and stops much harder now. They are great on my spirited drives and I can now give them a much quicker stab to bleed off speed compared to OEM. The extra bite gives more confidence and overall they just fit the car and what it is setup to do. They work great cold, but obviously like to have just a little bit of heat in them. Overall the car with the Winmax 2 pads strikes a better balance (power, handling, grip, braking) and puts the braking up a level to match the rest of the car.
care to go into how you bedded the W2's? thx. Im also in the same boat as a few of you on here. It seems that people just say have two sets of pads for different uses and that a compromise pad just isnt worth it. I really dont feel like swapping in pads because I cant justify the extra cost and time spent doing it when I attend HPDE just for fun. What would you guys recommend for a an s2k that sees the canyons, a full seasons worth of autox, and maybe 3 track events a year? I still road trip the car so I dont care much for heavy squealing in city driving. The car only sees about 3-4k miles a year. I was going to go with stoptech sports due to their price and somewhat decent temp ceiling? Maybe the winmax W2 is what im looking for?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by B serious

Also, OP is gone AF.

HAHA I am still here guys. I am reading up on everyone's suggestions.

I guess semi-metallic is way to go or stoptech sports... I don't want ANY noise/squeal... please keep the recommendations coming so I can research more.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
care to go into how you bedded the W2's? thx. Im also in the same boat as a few of you on here. It seems that people just say have two sets of pads for different uses and that a compromise pad just isnt worth it. I really dont feel like swapping in pads because I cant justify the extra cost and time spent doing it when I attend HPDE just for fun. What would you guys recommend for a an s2k that sees the canyons, a full seasons worth of autox, and maybe 3 track events a year? I still road trip the car so I dont care much for heavy squealing in city driving. The car only sees about 3-4k miles a year. I was going to go with stoptech sports due to their price and somewhat decent temp ceiling? Maybe the winmax W2 is what im looking for?
I just followed the procedures in the box. The incorrect thing I did was I used them too hard, like a track pad. The W2 aren't a track pad and shouldnt have been used quite as hard during the bedding process.

Having two sets of rotors and pads is the best way IMO. Once you get some track experience under your belt, a pad for the street/auto-x is not enough on track. If you are still learning you can get away with an okay all around pad, but that is a short term strategy.

Winmax are good for street and autox. They should be okay for a novice track day while you are still learning. Eventually you will want to step up to something more aggressive for the track.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
HAHA I am still here guys. I am reading up on everyone's suggestions.

I guess semi-metallic is way to go or stoptech sports... I don't want ANY noise/squeal... please keep the recommendations coming so I can research more.
My Stoptechs were WORLDS better than Hawks at dust and completely quiet. Also, more bite than off the shelf semi metallics I tried. Granted, I have not bought a set in a couple of years and they may have changed compounds. I think mine were a street performance pad, but would have to go look at the box to be sure.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
My Stoptechs were WORLDS better than Hawks at dust and completely quiet. Also, more bite than off the shelf semi metallics I tried. Granted, I have not bought a set in a couple of years and they may have changed compounds. I think mine were a street performance pad, but would have to go look at the box to be sure.

Stoptech Street Performance = Stoptech Sport.
the 309 part number. Same pad.

I have them on my S2000 for street use and convenience. They're quiet, like you say...and the dust is manageable.

I say "convenience" because I can like...*almost* get away with using them on the track. So if I'm lazy...I can leave them on for a few sessions until I stop being lazy and swap in track pads.

Bite kinda sucks unless they're hot. Its very similar to stock (slightly better).

A decent off the shelf semi metallic has better cold bite. Too bad Bendix no longer sells their semi metallics. They work so COT dang well on my TSX.

Rock auto currently has a "Friction master" that has like...the same PN as the old Bendix pads. And they're clearing them out for $7.99.

Not much to lose by trying them out, eh?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I've used both Stoptech Sport and Hawk HP+ on street and track. Any pad that can be used on the track, will be more than enough for the street (duh).

Now that that's out of the way, HP+ dust slightly more than Stoptech Sport AND they sometimes squeal. I've ran sets of HP+ that are pretty quiet and i've had sets that squeal like crazy. On the other hand, all of my stoptech sport sets have never squealed at all.

Both have pretty much the identical initial bite IMO. Maybe the HP+ has the very slight edge on initial bite, but the dust and squeal are worse and why i would choose the stoptech sports for the OP.
The following users liked this post:
rokkerkory (05-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Street pads with more initial bite?