S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Subframe shift with rigid collars possible?

Old 09-05-2019, 03:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Subframe shift with rigid collars possible?

Alright so I'm a frickin' stones throw away from getting my alignment in line after my accident. Long story short after replacing and repairing a bunch of items my right side is able to get more camber than my left (the impact was on the left side) so in my head the subframes could have shifted to the right.

Anywho, I run Spoon rigid collars. I haven't checked my subframe alignment holes yet to see if there's a shift as I just had this thought this morning. Being that I do run the rigid collars, could the subframes have shifted? Thought the whole point of these was to keep the subframes from moving.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:48 AM

Received 1,318 Likes on 996 Posts

The purpose of them is to keep the subframe more rigidly in place during driving, not specifically to keep the subframe from shifting.

But since they take up so much space that would otherwise allow the subframe to shift, they would under mamy circumstances prevent that as well.

That said, they can't prevent the subframe from shifting if put under enough stress. They are made of aluminum, softer than the subframe and the unibody it attaches to. So presumably they'd crush and distort before damage to subframe mounting holes or unibody threads occurred. Or for bolts to bend or break. Not sure which would happen first in an extreme impact.

That said, what is more likely to bend during an impact than bolts or subframe or even properly torqued subframe to shift, is the knuckles. My bet is the one on impact side is bent. It acts as a fuse, and takes the hit to protect everything else. Its quite common for it to bend, and for shops to not realize its bent. You typically can't visually tell its bent until you remove and lay beside a straight one.

Check subframe alignment holes because its easy and free. Once thats ruled out, start looking for replacement knuckle.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The purpose of them is to keep the subframe more rigidly in place during driving, not specifically to keep the subframe from shifting.

But since they take up so much space that would otherwise allow the subframe to shift, they would under mamy circumstances prevent that as well.

That said, they can't prevent the subframe from shifting if put under enough stress. They are made of aluminum, softer than the subframe and the unibody it attaches to. So presumably they'd crush and distort before damage to subframe mounting holes or unibody threads occurred. Or for bolts to bend or break. Not sure which would happen first in an extreme impact.

That said, what is more likely to bend during an impact than bolts or subframe or even properly torqued subframe to shift, is the knuckles. My bet is the one on impact side is bent. It acts as a fuse, and takes the hit to protect everything else. Its quite common for it to bend, and for shops to not realize its bent. You typically can't visually tell its bent until you remove and lay beside a straight one.

Check subframe alignment holes because its easy and free. Once thats ruled out, start looking for replacement knuckle.

Appreciate your input man, already replaced 1 knuckle and 2 lower control arms on the impact side of the car. Also had the bend the tabs back that eccentrics ride on on the non-impact side of the rear which is what's leading me to believe the subframe has seen some movement.