S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

suspension options for sticky tires

Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default suspension options for sticky tires

Hello s2ki! I've been a member lurking on here for some time, but only recently got a S2000 and am loving every minute of it.

So I've got some suspension questions... I currently have 2 sets of wheels and tires; the stock AP1 wheels with BFG g-force sport for daily driving, and I am in the process of getting the 255/40/17 Feddy 595RSRs I have mounted on some 17x9's. I'm riding on stock AP1 suspension right now, the car came on megan coilovers but one was seized when I pulled them off the car (can't adjust shock length or height, stuck at max low hellaflush setting ). I have a couple of options here, and am curious what other s2k owners would do... I'm concerned that the grip from 140 treadwear 255's will be too much for stock spring rates, am I wrong here?

Option #1, hammer, lube, and somehow fix the Megans so they can be adjusted to a useable height for the track. Keep the stock setup for daily driving and call it a day.

Option #2, don't use those old Megans, temporarily run Swift Spec R springs on the AP1 shocks for one track day until I can pony up for Konis (loved the Konis on my E36 M3)

Option #3, Just rock swift sport springs on the stock shocks, track it w/255's on the stock shocks and swift sport springs and see what happens?

Any input is greatly appreciated, I can't wait to track this car!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I race with 140tw tires on stock suspension. No problem.
Keep the Megans off the car, they are crap.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 PM

I was thinking the same thing, plus these Megans have unknown mileage and look kind of beat.

So I'm leaning towards option #2. I understand you can track the car on stock suspension, but as my last few cars have been much stiffer, the s2000 does feel a little too soft for me as is, I don't like how much it rolls at this height/stiffness. I really like the idea of Swift Spec R springs as they will work on my AP1 struts for a short while, and can be transfered to Konis when I decide to drop the cash on those. Plus the spring rates are ideal for what I want (daily/canyon/track setup).

Has anyone heard of people running Swift Spec R on AP1 shocks at the track? I know these shocks are underdampened, and that the Spec R were developed around the CR shocks, but as a temporary solution I'd like to try them out before I upgrade to konis.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine on the stock suspension, especially considering how slippery the 595RSR become after any hard use.
From all the reviews they really do not handle heat well.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:03 PM

Interesting, I've heard otherwise about the 595RSR and have had pretty good experiences with them in the past. Have you driven on them? I'm gonna run them regardless as I already have these tires left over from my E36, but hope to run RS3's or NT01's next time round.

Can anyone comment on Swift Spec-R springs on AP1 shocks?? It would only be for a little while before Konis go in, but has anyone run this setup at the track?
Old 05-21-2014, 06:03 PM

Well I may have answered my own question, but thought I'd post what I found...

Sounds like the spec R springs are right at the limit of what the stock shocks will handle, however my plan of putting them on Konis later might not be the best as a lot of people note that the car sits almost too low with both the drop from the Koni's shorter length (even on the top perch) and the drop from the spec r's. The other option of Spec R's on CR shocks is just too expensive for a non-adjustable setup in my mind, plus used CR shocks seem to be an elusive bunch.

So, I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on Swift Sport springs and run them on the stock shocks for my first event in the s2k, plus I'll retain more suspension travel for daily driving
Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Running stock springs and stock dampers will be faster on track than any of the options you listed. Running weird progressive lowering springs will just give you non-linear suspension response and additional body roll from screwing up the geometry. Sell the Megans, and start saving the $2000+ it will take to make a meaningful coilover and geometry-correction upgrade from stock.

Oh, and don't forget to have fun!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:36 PM

That's strange, I was under the impression that the Swift springs are linear, but have those small helper coils at the bottom to avoid the spring getting loose at full droop? I might email Swift to verify this.

I'm just a little surprised as I have heard lots of very good things about both Swift's Mach sport springs and their Spec R, and figured that a slight drop and slightly stiffer spring rates would help make the car slightly stiffer and more responsive/reduce body roll. Please elaborate on what makes the swifts "wierd progressive springs", not trying to call you out, but I'd like to hear how a mild drop and slightly stiffer springs can mess up the suspension geometry that much.

Obviously I'm looking for performance over looks, but I would like a mild drop on the s2k as it sits a bit too high for my tastes, especially on 17's.

Oh and thanks for that last tip pretty hard not to have fun every time I drive this thing. Really looking forward to a track day!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

from what i understand, the swift is a linear spring rate, it just looks like a progressive spring.

If your shocks aren't blown, I would see how the balance of the suspension is on the track.

As far as tires go, the federal 595 rsrs are supposedly terrible tires, they overheat and lose grip pretty quickly. As far as too much grip for the stock suspension, plenty of fast s2000 drivers who are class limited to modifications, go plenty fast on stock suspension with much grippier 255/40 square tire setup (off the top of my head: dunlop z2, advan ad08r, bridgestone re11a, hankook rs3, bfg rival)

What year is your s2000, i'm guessing ap1 by the sound of the 16s and the ap1 suspension.

Are you familiar with the characteristics of the standard s2000 and your s2000? What other kind of weird mods are on the car?

These are the suspension characteristics of all years of the s2000:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...nsion-springs/

I would get your s2000 to a good starting point first:
Fresh engine oil, diff oil, trans oil
Fresh brake fluid, braided lines, good pads
Check caliper condition
Fresh clutch fluid
Check valve clearance and retainers
Check your compliance bushings, engine mounts, diff mounts, transmission mounts
Get a good alignment

I don't know what your driving history is, but the ap1 with square tires could be kind of a beast to handle, I would give yourself a little cushion for error with a bit of tire stagger
Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by speedf50
Well I may have answered my own question, but thought I'd post what I found...

Sounds like the spec R springs are right at the limit of what the stock shocks will handle, however my plan of putting them on Konis later might not be the best as a lot of people note that the car sits almost too low with both the drop from the Koni's shorter length (even on the top perch) and the drop from the spec r's. The other option of Spec R's on CR shocks is just too expensive for a non-adjustable setup in my mind, plus used CR shocks seem to be an elusive bunch.

So, I think I'm just going to pull the trigger on Swift Sport springs and run them on the stock shocks for my first event in the s2k, plus I'll retain more suspension travel for daily driving
The Koni top perch is the same length as oem shock

Quick Reply: suspension options for sticky tires