S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Torque steer (says the dealer)

Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque steer (says the dealer)

I have been having a problem where my S2k pulls to the right when i give it gas and to the left when i let off the gas. It is significant enough that at 80 miles an hour i can steer the car using only the gas pedal and keep it within my lane on the freeway (no hands).

I have already ruled out Tire pressure, bad tires and alignment.

Both my alignment shop and the honda dealer tell me it is torque steer and completely normally for an s2000. I think they are full of crap. I have driven a V6 accord that didnt torque steer any where near this much.

What do u guys think?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:23 PM

I can't believe your alignmnet shop and your honda dealer said its due to torque steer...

i know we own fwd drive and all but we're torqueless
Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM

it is my understanding that torque steer is caused by the uneven length of the driveshafts on a FWD car and that RWD would be 100% free of torque steer.

The honda tech even told me that he has driven many s2ks and they all do this.... I think he my be confusing the s2000 with the civic.

If we can rule out torque steer.... what else could be the problem?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Only happens on FWD...look elsewhere...tire press.???
Old 01-23-2010, 04:35 PM

lol@torque steer. My experience is limited, but I've never heard of a rwd having this problem. I'd still bet on alignment/suspension though.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:59 PM

After they told me it was torque steer i told them i didn't believe them and had them put it up on the rack and look for any loose or damaged suspension parts. They didnt want to but did it anyways when i insisted but i could tell there where not really looking hard because they where convinced it was torque steer. Is there anything that i can look for myself or that i should specifically ask to have checked out?

He also said that it could not be the differential beacuse it would be making horrible sounds. My diff does make a whining noise but they said that is normal. Is that true?

I am at a loss about what to do next. It really makes it miserable to drive on the freeway.

Maybe somebody knows of a good shop in Socal that i can take it to. I live near Temecula and also go into southern orange county a lot.

Maybe it would be easy to sell it and buy one that drives in a straight line to begin with...

Edit: I have already ruled out the easy stuff. Tried 2 sets of wheels. 2 different sets of tires. Dismounted and rotated tires. Had the car aligned several times. Tire pressure is prefect.

The wheels it came with had some dings in them. The car possibly slid into a curb. Could something be bent?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts

I would suspect some suspension parts, bad tie rod ends perhaps. Take it to a good suspension shop, they can give you a free diagnosis.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the car is not supposed to do this. that's clear.

maybe visit shane at aliso viejo auto repair? great guy with a great reputation in the socal forum.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Jan 23 2010, 06:12 PM
I would suspect some suspension parts, bad tie rod ends perhaps. Take it to a good suspension shop, they can give you a free diagnosis.
Uneven compression of the rear, side to side, could be doing strange things to the dynamic toe as well. This would not show up on a static alignment. Any chance of a spring spacer, bad shock, broken spring, anything else that could increase or decrease rate of travel?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a BMW that did that when the diff mount went bad. I bet it is that, or something in the rear is loose or broken. Check for loose bolts in the rear.

Quick Reply: Torque steer (says the dealer)