S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

which track day pads

Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which track day pads

Thanks guys all advice comments taken on board. "Maniac" I didn't realise you know me
In the short term I will take your advice on the pads with a bbk to follow probably later after this summers use
I made an impulse purchase of a larger SC so power will rise much further (+40%?) so could become an interesting build

So the last day of driving my 400bhp hks supercharged s2k and the rear pads came to the end of their life . I knew they were on the limit so perfect timing. When I get back to my car I will drive it across france and belgium to Spa Francourchamps again. But this time I want to give it a blast round one the the most interesting historic race circuits in the world.
I have genuine Honda discs/rotors front and rear which I plan to keep and replace all the brake pads.
Which pads do you suggest I fit. My only requirement is NO noise. Will I benefit from after market pads or as is often the case stick to the OEM which until now have been great.
I only have 5 days to prep the car so want to purchase all parts in advance obviously
All advice will be most welcome and I hope there is a clear choice

Last edited by Colin Shipp; 03-04-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:54 PM

Received 568 Likes on 398 Posts

You're going to drive it on Spa, on the track?

OEM pads will fade and burn out after the 3 big straights (front straight, straight after Eau Rouge, and back straight right before the chicane to the front straight). Those are all really heavy braking zones, which will be even harder with 400hp.

Are you running any aero? What kind of tires? Size of tires and wheels? Do you have brake ducts?

If you really want to be able to drive it at a high speed track with heavy braking zones like Spa, you'll need some real track pads. And, real track pads will make some noise. I would also bring some spare front rotors and brake pads with you.

For reference, on an stock s2000, power, wheels, suspension, and just extreme summer tires with track pads and dot 4 fluid, I would crack rotors and burn pads down to the backing plate after 3-4 track days at 4-5 sessions at 25min each. This was a street driven and prepped car.

Your car will struggle at Spa with the OEM pads, a street pad, or even a hybrid pad. My recommendation is a track pad.

Do you know what brands you have access to? My recommendations in order of preference:
-Raybestos ST43
-Hawk DTC70 or DTC60
-Carbotech XP10
-Ferodo DS3000 (you might be able to do DS2500)

You might even want to consider staggered compounds front/rear to balance brake bias. Also, what year car? 06+? Are you driving with VSA? If so, that will use your rear brakes a lot and make them hot. I would high recommend or consider turning that off.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 1,271 Likes on 961 Posts

You shouldn't be doing any track days on the stock pads, you crazy maniac.

There aren't any pads that will safely work with your stock system AND make no noise. In fact...at your HP level, you really should not use the stock brake system at all...even with race pads.

You need a big brake kit. You can probably use Stoptech 309 Sport pads with a big brake kit and be fine. No noise, good street manners.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You need a big brake kit. You can probably use Stoptech 309 Sport pads with a big brake kit and be fine. No noise, good street manners.
Agree with the BBK comment. However; OP will want to use at least an HC800+ or equivalent pad with the BBK. The HC800+ is a good hybrid pad but will see accelerated wear when used for the track. The StopTech street pads that come with the ST40 kit are trash for track use.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Probably a bit late now, but I used Dixcel discs and pads (RA type) on my stock S2000 for Spa and they performed flawlessly:

Old 02-28-2019, 11:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Winmax W5 or W6/Project Mu Club Racers. All will make noise but they will be good for what you need.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Colin Shipp
So the last day of driving my 400bhp hks supercharged s2k and the rear pads came to the end of their life .
Originally Posted by lovegroova
Probably a bit late now, but I used Dixcel discs and pads (RA type) on my stock S2000 for Spa and they performed flawlessly
You are not putting out 400bhp like OP. If you were, I imagine you would be hitting 140mph at the end of the straight after Eau Rouge (instead of the 115mph that you topped out at).
Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Bullwings
You are not putting out 400bhp like OP. If you were, I imagine you would be hitting 140mph at the end of the straight after Eau Rouge (instead of the 115mph that you topped out at).
I'm aware of that, hence my emphasis of "stock".

The Kemmel straight is after Raidillon, not Eau Rouge. I know it well as it's where my engine died

Spa actually isn't that bad on the brakes, as you have the long straights to cool them off, especially if you have 400bhp and the associated speed that would entail.

I do agree that a BBK is a long term and sensible solution.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lovegroova
I'm aware of that, hence my emphasis of "stock".

The Kemmel straight is after Raidillon, not Eau Rouge. I know it well as it's where my engine died

Spa actually isn't that bad on the brakes, as you have the long straights to cool them off, especially if you have 400bhp and the associated speed that would entail.

I do agree that a BBK is a long term and sensible solution.
I've

I think all advice goes to BBK The short term will be track pads Which BBK is the lightest?
Kippen straight is after both raidillon and eau rouge so let's not argue over details like school girls and most people know the complex of the two as eau rouge
Suprisingly the oem brakes cope well with a single 115 mph to 15 mph braking (single not track day)
I've not experienced any fade losing 100mph in one application The S is a great car from the factory

Old 03-05-2019, 03:05 AM
UK Moderator

Colin, did you go to/enjoy Spa?

Quick Reply: which track day pads