S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Uneven ride height PSS9 help!

Old 07-31-2018, 04:45 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by _valtsu_
Uneven garage floor can easily do this. When I got new coilovers I had the same problem at front and it was just the garage floor.
The garage floor isn't 100% level but its a typical oversized 2 car garage concrete with a drain in the middle...

When the car is sitting there its not like the right side sits higher than the left because it's sloped so much.. AND the front's adjusted evenly without issue.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
What about bushing bind? Are you clocking the bushings each time you make a change to ride height?

Try loosening all the rear control arm bolts. Both upper, both lower, and the lower shock mounts, to allow the rubber bushings to unwind and stop trying to force the car to a certain ride height.

​​​​​​​Good thought. I'm going to try this on Saturday and I'll try swapping the coilover from one side to the other and we'll as measuring them both while they're out.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
What about bushing bind? Are you clocking the bushings each time you make a change to ride height?

Try loosening all the rear control arm bolts. Both upper, both lower, and the lower shock mounts, to allow the rubber bushings to unwind and stop trying to force the car to a certain ride height.
UPDATE: Loosening all bushings and setting the car back down did not change anything.

So it's either the car or the coilover itself. I removed the coilovers and tonight will be reinstalling them in opposite sides. I'll post when I find out!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 PM

Ok all, I'm stumped.

I swapped the coilovers side to side and the passenger side is still sitting 1/2 inch high with the coilovers adjusted identical.

I loosened all the A arm bolts, disconnected swingarm and set the car down that way. Still sat high.

What the heck can this be?!? Is my car just off from the factory?

Does 1/2 inch matter handling wise in the grand scheme of things?

Help!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

How slanted is the ground? You've had to have tried just parking the car backwards in the same spot, I'm assuming?

Maybe one of the LCA's or spindles is bent? Collapsed bushing?

Old 08-03-2018, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
How slanted is the ground? You've had to have tried just parking the car backwards in the same spot, I'm assuming?

When I had all of the bolts loosened connecting the A arm to the subframe with the coilovers out, the arm/lca moved up and down freely with full range of motion.

​​​​​​The garage floor just a typical 2 car cement floor with drain the middle. It slopes slightly but not that much. Plus I was able to get the front coilovers even.

​​​​
Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 AM

LCA's look identical side to side... so idk.. is there any way to measure?

Spindles bent? the rear axle? What are you referring to as "spindle"?

Just FYI: the car aligns perfectly, does not have any vibrations or clunks or anything weird. There is no rust or corrosion on anything.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

the spindle is the same as a knuckle. The cast iron part that all the control arms attach to. The one with the hub.

Try parking backwards in the same spot. Does the other side now sit lower?

It certainly involves labour...but what about switching springs from side to side?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Have you tried disconnecting the swaybar? Maybe you mentioned it before in the thread, but since this has been going for several days now I honestly do not remember.

The swaybar could be messed up somehow and pushing one side up and other down even sitting at ride height. Just disconnect the end link from one side, and swaybar is no longer active. See if that changes anything.

But first, do what B has been saying, park the other way around. A drain in the middle means its a complex subtly cone shaped floor. So I could see where floor could be flatter where front wheels are. Maybe when you park backwards now the front will be uneven, and rear will be ok.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 AM

the spindle is the same as a knuckle. The cast iron part that all the control arms attach to. The one with the hub.

Try parking backwards in the same spot. Does the other side now sit lower?

It certainly involves labour...but what about switching springs from side to side?
I swapped the entire coilovers side to side. I also measured all the components of each coilover when they were out of the car and they are exact.

Quick Reply: Uneven ride height PSS9 help!