S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

What coilovers to get for stret use & where to order?

Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default What coilovers to get for street use & where to order?

I have a 2001 S2K and I want to upgrade the suspension.. I only drive it on the street but I do want to try autocross eventually. Right now it's stock and I feel that it could handle a bit better... It has a tendency to oversteer which does not give me much confidence through the corners. I also want the car to be a little lower - not slammed though.
I was looking at the Bilstein PSS, BC BR, K-Sport etc but I'm really not sure what is best. I'd like to spend around $1k. The other issue is it seems almost EVERY reseller is out of stock! Where is the best seller to get aftermaret parts for these cars?

Last edited by TheBasedDoge; 07-01-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Look at suspension bolts before hand,and if any adjusters are seized,that will need addressing before coilover.
that could use up your $1k rather quick if repairs are needed.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Street coilovers are almost an oxymoron. What coilovers do is optimize the suspension for a specific set of corners or conditions. Setting up for one race track will not be ideal for another so adjustability is needed. Recall race tracks only have a few corners that you take over and over and over and... Streets and back roads don't occur like this so a more general suspension setup is better -- and that's already on the car with a good alignment.

The early cars have a deliberate oversteer bias that Honda gradually tweaked out every two years in '02, '04, '06, (not sure about '08). (Oversteer is fun albeit slow.) You can take yours out with wheels, tires, and OE suspension parts that typically turn up on Ebay. But even leaving the suspension alone OE 17" wheels and Extreme Performance summer tires will have immediate effect on handling, more so than randomly set aftermarket coilovers. There are very nice reproduction AP2V1 wheels available and the Extreme Performance summer tires get better all the time. These and an alignment will fit your $1000 budget well. Fitting OE 17" wheels and leaving the suspension alone you can reduce oversteer a bit with standard 215 front trues but 250mm rather than 240mm rear tires. This is the CR spec and they fit with no modifications.

-- Chuck
Old 07-02-2018, 06:28 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I have HKS Hipermax IV GT. Spring rates are 8k/7k, IIRC almost identical to OEM CR rates. I like them, they're reasonably comfortable and I say this from a city with some of the worst roads in America (Milwaukee, comparing to Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc.)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Street coilovers are almost an oxymoron. What coilovers do is optimize the suspension for a specific set of corners or conditions. Setting up for one race track will not be ideal for another so adjustability is needed. Recall race tracks only have a few corners that you take over and over and over and... Streets and back roads don't occur like this so a more general suspension setup is better -- and that's already on the car with a good alignment.

The early cars have a deliberate oversteer bias that Honda gradually tweaked out every two years in '02, '04, '06, (not sure about '08). (Oversteer is fun albeit slow.) You can take yours out with wheels, tires, and OE suspension parts that typically turn up on Ebay. But even leaving the suspension alone OE 17" wheels and Extreme Performance summer tires will have immediate effect on handling, more so than randomly set aftermarket coilovers. There are very nice reproduction AP2V1 wheels available and the Extreme Performance summer tires get better all the time. These and an alignment will fit your $1000 budget well. Fitting OE 17" wheels and leaving the suspension alone you can reduce oversteer a bit with standard 215 front trues but 250mm rather than 240mm rear tires. This is the CR spec and they fit with no modifications.

-- Chuck
What OE suspension parts would you recommend? I'm not really sure I want to change the wheels and tires right now as I just went through the effort of completely refinishing the stock wheels, and the tires are still only a year old. I do also want to get the car a little bit lower

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
I have HKS Hipermax IV GT. Spring rates are 8k/7k, IIRC almost identical to OEM CR rates. I like them, they're reasonably comfortable and I say this from a city with some of the worst roads in America (Milwaukee, comparing to Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, etc.)
I'll do some reading on these. Where did you order them from?
Old 07-02-2018, 07:27 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by iCrap
I'll do some reading on these. Where did you order them from?
I bought mine from Josh at Kami Speed. I would 100% recommend him/Kami Speed without hesitation. I've used them for a number of things at this point because the pricing & service has consistently been excellent.

@Kami Speed

You can PM him for pricing, I think I just linked his profile there & he may even get a notification if I used the tagging system correctly and chime in.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Suspension should be matched with tires. There is no point getting suspension that can handle forces that your tires aren't capable of generating. All that does is give you a rough ride, for no tangible benefit.

People are saying upgrade tires first, since our stock suspension is reasonably ok at handling forces even extreme performance tires can generate. So upgrade tires first, best bang for buck. Then upgrade suspension later when you're more able to leverage the better tires capabilities.

If you already have put money into street wheels and tires, consider putting the money into a spare set of track wheels, tires and brake pads (and rotors). That is the formula for budget track duty.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

He just wants to lower the car slightly, spend around $1k, and not have the ride quality degrade past a reasonable extent, and have slightly better ride and handling dynamic. That's what I understand when I hear "street coilover".

Not everyone cares about extracting and analyzing every drop of performance.

OP...you picked your brands. You just need to know where to get them? Search the sponsor marketplace. THmotorsports is usually a good bet.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Jub

Received 386 Likes on 309 Posts

Why not skip the coilovers and use the 1k for tires and entry fees to autocross? My favorite mod I've done to my S is the seat time mod.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
He just wants to lower the car slightly, spend around $1k, and not have the ride quality degrade past a reasonable extent, and have slightly better ride and handling dynamic. That's what I understand when I hear "street coilover".

Not everyone cares about extracting and analyzing every drop of performance.

OP...you picked your brands. You just need to know where to get them? Search the sponsor marketplace. THmotorsports is usually a good bet.
Yeah you nailed it. Just a little better handling / ride, and a little lower. I was hoping to hear from some people who owned those specific coils / other suggestions but for now I think im leaning towards those HKS based on what i'm reading on other threads.

Originally Posted by Jub
Why not skip the coilovers and use the 1k for tires and entry fees to autocross? My favorite mod I've done to my S is the seat time mod.
I'll get into that later but since the tires are still brand new I'll keep them for now.... autocross near me is cheap, i think its only like $35. If i had more space maybe i'd get another set of wheels and tires but as it is i'm already storing 3 sets for my other cars so that's just not an option. Once these tires wear out i'll get some nice replacements.

Quick Reply: What coilovers to get for stret use & where to order?