S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

SMOG check fail in CA

Old 07-31-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was afraid that's what it meant. I will poke around and hopefully find the original part. Thank you all for your help! Sandra
Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by s2kcrick
Not only that, I've seen a couple mobile "voluntary" smog check stations being run by CHP around here. It's getting nasty hot out here. Pretty soon we will not be able to do anything to our cars without paying an extra "tax" for it. Commifornia, the shake down state.
These are not run by the CHP, they are run by B.A.R. (Bureau of Automotive Repair) and are completely voluntary. The CHP officer on site is there to wave people in because the B.A.R. people do not have authority to direct traffic (I.e...wave people into the inspection site).
Old 08-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, CA is starting to crack down on hybrids now too. We have to smog our cars after 5 years. *sighs*
Old 08-02-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Hope you locate the OEM header Sandra, fortunately you have a year in which to make the necessary change out.

Smog checking Hybrid's.......

"If it Moves, Tax it. If it Keeps Moving, Regulate it. And if it Stops Moving, Subsidize it".
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Sandra, please post in the norcal section and ask the members where the "Mod" friendly smog stations are. They will know better.

Your car will pass the test even with those mods so long as you have a catalyic convertor installed. You are simply failing the visual inspection which is the techs discretion. I have 2 other cars modified but the smog guy passes me so long as it passes the sniffer/odb scan.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by blueprint
Sandra, please post in the norcal section and ask the members where the "Mod" friendly smog stations are. They will know better.

Your car will pass the test even with those mods so long as you have a catalyic convertor installed. You are simply failing the visual inspection which is the techs discretion. I have 2 other cars modified but the smog guy passes me so long as it passes the sniffer/odb scan.

Good luck!
I second that. I can also try to help out by contacting my team in Nor Cal. Please let me know if you'd like me to do that.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM

Now I can see why Jamesmc liked this forum so much! You guys (and gals) are so helpful, thank you! Yes, For_my_s2k that would be great! I will also look for the NorCal section and post there, too! Thank you!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jamesmc
Now I can see why Jamesmc liked this forum so much! You guys (and gals) are so helpful, thank you! Yes, For_my_s2k that would be great! I will also look for the NorCal section and post there, too! Thank you!!!
Not a problem! We only have a few members in Northern California but I've put it out there to them. If I hear anything, I'll let you know but I bet s2ki will be quicker for you.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blueprint

Good luck!
To clarify, when blueprint says that the visual inspection is at the techs discretion he means that some techs seem to have voluntary intstant really blurry vision when it comes to the mandatory visual inspection.

You could also go to a "modern" lazy station that will only plug in to your OBDII port and not look at anything else.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:06 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

So that's what this cute sticker is for! Looked "official" so I stuck it here. Here in Ohio we just hook up to the CAN port on the car and are done in two minutes.

-- Chuck

Name:  IMG_1971a_zpsoq2qjpsl.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  411.2 KB

Quick Reply: SMOG check fail in CA