S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Will there be another CR Meet?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

It's not easy to incorporate things that cater to the people that don't track their cars and the people that do. The hope is to always make this a glorified vacation for all of us, that has a good mix of track and non track things... With that said it would be hard for me to get excited and drive 1000 miles about a track day and dinner... All the ideas are great though it's fun to get input and see everyone so excited to get together again
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Texas + Circuit of the Americas (F1 track) viable? What is there to do in Texas?

Alternatively, east coast and we can go with the annual S2ki trip to the Dragon....

Laguna Seca is easy, becuase there is a ton of non-track things to do nearby. Aquarium, wine tasting, foods, 17 mile drive, etc. And, of course, I suspect a lot of people will come by, just to WATCH cars go down the corkscrew. It's really this steep.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:39 PM
jza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Idea 1:
We could visit HPD again and head to the track but have HPD give us some kind of lecture/insight of S2000. Either technical details or tips racing S2000.

Idea 2:
Bay area tour with 3 track events back to back (Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway A.K.A.Infineon & Thunderhill).
Old 07-26-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think an autocross would be cool for an event. I think there are more owners willing to autocross than track, plus it's pretty easy to instruct and participate with autocross. Also, the CR does seem to be quite the autocross car if you look at it's success in national championships.

The cool thing about Laguna/Monterey is you have Laguna Seca and the best autocross site in the bay area 20 min apart. There are a lot of non-car things to do in the area, but there are not a lot of car-related things to do/see besides the track. There are a lot of nice, scenic roads for a group drive.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

As far as Texas, I don't think many would come here in the summer willingly. Lol. Things to do: Mike already mentioned C.O.T.A for a track day, Three Sisters (or as it's sometimes called, the twisted sisters) drive. 131 miles of curves for a drive. Nightlife, well there is Austin and San Antonio's famous river walk. We have winery tours too and Shiner brewery is close as well.

Personally, I don't seriously mind where the next meet is as long as it affords the potential for the greatest attendance and varied car experience.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a CR meet at Laguna Seca and I will be there!
There was no way in hell I was taking my car to LA
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
Personally, I don't seriously mind where the next meet is as long as it affords the potential for the greatest attendance and varied car experience.
Steven says it best. I'll sock away money for this.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by odb812
I think an autocross would be cool for an event. I think there are more owners willing to autocross than track, plus it's pretty easy to instruct and participate with autocross. Also, the CR does seem to be quite the autocross car if you look at it's success in national championships.

The cool thing about Laguna/Monterey is you have Laguna Seca and the best autocross site in the bay area 20 min apart. There are a lot of non-car things to do in the area, but there are not a lot of car-related things to do/see besides the track. There are a lot of nice, scenic roads for a group drive.
I totally agree, AutoX is a really safe, cheap, and comfortable way to introduce people to driving near the limit. People might not want to spend $150-350 on a track day but spending $50 for a day of AutoX might be more palatable, plus nobody has to worry about damaging their car or themselves.

I've love to see the next CR event incorporate more track / AutoX events, maybe an AutoX day (build driver confidence) and then a track day to follow.

The bay area would be nice - good racing venues and it's not 108F (!!!), plus tons of non-car stuff to do (Napa, great restaurants, etc.)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM
S2KI Editor

How about the Chicago area?

It's mid way between the coasts to accommodate east coast folks also. There are several tracks nearby and SO much to do here for the non-track people!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:59 PM

For Vegas, we do have a pretty descent Autocross program, and depending on the time of the year, one of our lots is at the Speedway, huge open course. Close by there's the Shelby Museum, Exotics Racing (Yup, rent an Exotic car for a few laps on their private track), drag strip for those who care for it. Valley of Fire is a really nice drive, which is very scenic, and most car clubs when they meet around here go there for photo shoots, as well as Red Rock. There's two prime go-kart locations, where we can all race non-cr's, and spring mountain for a track day. And of course there is tons of non car related things to do,old downtown, Las Vegas Strip, shows, dining, etc....
I would, however, recommend late August to early October as a time-frame, since November starts getting colder, and before August is flat out hotter than hell.

Quick Reply: Will there be another CR Meet?