S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Adding audio for christmas but what?!

Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding audio for christmas but what?!

I'm thinking for Christmas this year i should upgrade my door speakers in my S from Pioneer TS-G1642R's with stock HU to some polk db651's. I would probably get an amp too but i don't know if i should just get a 2 channel or 4 channel. i have a boss bass600 powered subwoofer behind the seat that does some moderate bass but not enough thump. also what do you do with the tweeters? do you power them via amp or what and should i upgrade those things too.

whatcha think?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM

come on guys
Old 12-09-2010, 01:06 PM

I too have my mind set on a Christmas audio gift for my S2000 CR. So far I am leaning toward a FI audio sub (most likely FI Q 10 or 12) sealed in the trunk well powered by a couple of Digital Designs SS1 amps strapped. For the front stage, I am taking a look at what DLS has to offer.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:21 PM

look for component speakers vs 2 way

i have both my 6.5 and tweeters running of an amp. for reference i have the alpine type r's

i went with a 4 channel with 2 powering front and 2 bridged for the sub.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:55 PM

why would component be better? since the S2k already has tweeters and such?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smartidiot2122,Dec 9 2010, 07:55 PM
why would component be better? since the S2k already has tweeters and such?
I would stick with components. the soud quality is better (in most cases)
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree with the above, components are the only way to go, and the only way to power them is with an amp, they sound so horrible when they get your whopping 45w off your deck.

if you are currently running a monoblock amp for your sub, and want to stick with it you could get away with a little two channel amp to power the speakers. If space is an issue for you, pull out your old amp, get a class a/b and run your speakers of ch. 1 and 2, and bridge 3 and 4 for the sub as stated above.

when you power componets you run power from your amp to the cross over which feeds your mid and your tweet seperately. I run a very nice set of hertz components in my S, and power them with a 4 channel amp with both channels bridged so i can feed 190w to each speaker... my room mate can ride his crotch rocket behind me and hear my music with his helmet on.. its loud and i dont really find the need for a sub, and i listen to a lot of electronic music

hope this helps
Old 12-10-2010, 11:22 AM

i put these polk audios http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Polk+Audio+-+6...7&skuId=9985099 in my car with a pioneer HU, no amp and it sounds great.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blixhavn,Dec 10 2010, 11:52 AM
i agree with the above, components are the only way to go, and the only way to power them is with an amp, they sound so horrible when they get your whopping 45w off your deck.

if you are currently running a monoblock amp for your sub, and want to stick with it you could get away with a little two channel amp to power the speakers. If space is an issue for you, pull out your old amp, get a class a/b and run your speakers of ch. 1 and 2, and bridge 3 and 4 for the sub as stated above.

when you power componets you run power from your amp to the cross over which feeds your mid and your tweet seperately. I run a very nice set of hertz components in my S, and power them with a 4 channel amp with both channels bridged so i can feed 190w to each speaker... my room mate can ride his crotch rocket behind me and hear my music with his helmet on.. its loud and i dont really find the need for a sub, and i listen to a lot of electronic music

hope this helps
there's tons of info in the FAQ, if you're worried about space just ditch the spare (no one uses it anyways ) and get the spare tire amp rack from PAS2KNut .
Old 12-10-2010, 04:53 PM

I'm also looking to upgrade my stereo in my S. Just looking for a good head unit with some good speakers that will sound better then the stock unti/speakers. I reallly dont care for the whole sub/amp thing, just looking to get better sound quality. Any suggestions? blixhavn, what HU are you using and what speakers?
cheers

Quick Reply: Adding audio for christmas but what?!