S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Aftermarket speakers crackling

Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket speakers crackling

About a year ago I installed some new sound components in my S;
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS
Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C
Amp: Alpine KTP-445U
& Modifry DCI to keep dash controls

Even just playing a song with a moderate amount of bass at a moderate volume, the speakers crackle. Non-bass heavy songs though I can turn the volume up high until the sound eventually cuts out completely, and it still crackles anytime the beat hits.
At low volume though everything plays perfect; and if I bass-boost through the headunit the bass hits really heavy and doesn't crackle.

This is tolerable, I've lasted a year with these problems, but it's really getting annoying. I'm pretty sure I've had them since day 1.

I had a few thoughts:
-The frequency response of my speakers is 65Hz - 29kHz. Is 65 too high? Will switching to Polk DB651 (30Hz - 22kHz) fix my problem?
-Is my wiring bad somewhere?

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong here?
Old 07-06-2015, 05:01 PM

Bought the same HU and DCI, looking for speakers/amp now,
very good head up, want to know the answer too!

Originally Posted by Elysian
About a year ago I installed some new sound components in my S;
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS
Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C
Amp: Alpine KTP-445U
& Modifry DCI to keep dash controls

Even just playing a song with a moderate amount of bass at a moderate volume, the speakers crackle. Non-bass heavy songs though I can turn the volume up high until the sound eventually cuts out completely, and it still crackles anytime the beat hits.
At low volume though everything plays perfect; and if I bass-boost through the headunit the bass hits really heavy and doesn't crackle.

This is tolerable, I've lasted a year with these problems, but it's really getting annoying. I'm pretty sure I've had them since day 1.

I had a few thoughts:
-The frequency response of my speakers is 65Hz - 29kHz. Is 65 too high? Will switching to Polk DB651 (30Hz - 22kHz) fix my problem?
-Is my wiring bad somewhere?

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong here?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nulee
Bought the same HU and DCI, looking for speakers/amp now,
very good head up, want to know the answer too!
I'm almost certain the problem is the speakers- with a 65hz minimum they were probably meant to pair with a sub. But on the other hand these have really good highs. Make sure you research your speakers more than I did lol
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

You could try some bass blockers to see if that eliminates the crackle. http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc..._blockers.html
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM

I had a similar issue with my car, found that all speaker screws were loose, both sides, even the baffle/spacer screws were all loose. IMHO, start there. Another strange issue i had on a previous car was I had damaged one of the rca cables on the install, was interesting to diagnose but ultimately used my iphone as an audio source w/ a 1/8" stereo to rca to plug directly to amp... Probably not your case but ideas on how to isolate components to speed up diag. GL with it!!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM

Electrically, you can test the speakers with a multimeter checking resistance either at terminals on the amp, then terminals at speakers and comparing the test results with each other left and right. Very recently, I did this same test to find a hurt voice coil on a dual voice coil subwoofer that sounded 'harsh'...
Old 07-07-2015, 11:02 AM

After re-reading your post, you mentioned "sound cuts out", sounds like a hurt amp, also that amp is grossly undersized for your ap if it is not bridged... I would verify speakers first to make sure they are not damaged, undersized amps being pushed hard can in fact kill high power capable speakers. Overdriving amps are bad, it was ultimately what killed those subs i was diagnosing. Also consider running 16 or 14 gauge speaker wire to both doors, the factory light gauge wiring will make a high power capable speaker have weak bass output. As far as a replacement amp, many small format-high powered Class D full range amps are avail at very reasonable prices. Class D will also be easier on the cars electrical system, no dimming lights under bass, no need for caps, nicer battery, or high output alternators... Very efficient power. Hope this helps man.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:51 AM

Thanks very much for your advice, I'll give all these a try this weekend
Old 07-13-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i have the same amp and speakers, except i wired it to my stock head unit, and im having the same problem

everyone swore up and down it was the head unit causing the issue, but i see you having the same thing going on

let me know what you find!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:56 PM

How is everything going?
I want to buy this Alpine KTP-445U to pair with my Pioneer 9600 Head unit too with DCI board, will I need special connectors? or I have to cut and connect the wires?

THanks!

Li

Originally Posted by Elysian
Thanks very much for your advice, I'll give all these a try this weekend

Quick Reply: Aftermarket speakers crackling