S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amp wiring kits

Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp wiring kits

I'm going to be running an alpine f300 for my speakers and an alpine m450 for my sub. I'm wondering how many amp wiring kits will I need? I'm looking at this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KnuKonceptz-Complete-4...=item588496bbb0

Both amps are going to be in trunk. Thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:12 PM

That kit seems to have everything you will need except a distribution block.

You will need a distribution block in the trunk to route power from the 4 gauge positive wire to each amp. If the distribution block has negative terminals then you can also use it to manage the ground path. Connect ground wire from each amp to the negative input terminals on the block and connect the block's negative output terminal to chassis ground using the 4 gauge negative wire included in your kit.

If your amps are not fused, your distribution block should be fused. This means it should have receptacles on the positive path in which to insert appropriately sized fuses to protect your amplifiers.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by dierk,Nov 27 2009, 04:12 PM
That kit seems to have everything you will need except a distribution block.

You will need a distribution block in the trunk to route power from the 4 gauge positive wire to each amp. If the distribution block has negative terminals then you can also use it to manage the ground path. Connect ground wire from each amp to the negative input terminals on the block and connect the block's negative output terminal to chassis ground using the 4 gauge negative wire included in your kit.

If your amps are not fused, your distribution block should be fused. This means it should have receptacles on the positive path in which to insert appropriately sized fuses to protect your amplifiers.
Thanks for the reply. So to hook up both my amps I only need to buy 1 kit and a distribution block correct?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 PM

affirmative
Old 11-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by dierk,Nov 27 2009, 11:06 PM
affirmative
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by hellspare,Nov 27 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. So to hook up both my amps I only need to buy 1 kit and a distribution block correct?
A second thought is a capacitor used as a distribution block, I have done this many times in other setups, and plan on doing so in the spring when I finally install my stereo after its been collecting dust for the past 4 years lol
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 AM

A capacitor can be used as a disribution block. I have been using KnuKonceptz wires at home and in the car for the past 8 years, can't beat the quality for price ratio. You may as well use their website instead of eBay. You may also want to check out their clearance section, sometimes they have cosmetic flaws at discount.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:59 AM

You'll also need another set of RCA cable (or 2) depending on how you are hooking up the amps, but for power you are right, the kit and a distribution block.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM

I was just thinking about that lol. Both amps are going to be in the trunk, would I just need 1 more rca cable?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 AM

no RCA's are not involved with a capacitor. Think of it like a spare battery, the amps will draw current from the capacitor first instead of the main battery for quicker power, less strain on the charging system, and a more stable power flow.

Just add a second power running from the cap to the other amp to provide power. Also, the ground wires can be run similarly through the cap, but i still recommend the amps/cap all be grounded to the vehicle chassis (and make sure the paint is scrapped away for a proper connection to bare metal)

Here is where I got the picture from, it can help you with the install/concept http://www.caraudiohelp.com/car_audio_capa...nstallation.htm

Quick Reply: Amp wiring kits