S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Amplifier cooling fans?

Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amplifier cooling fans?

Is anyone using additional fans to cool their amplifier(s) in either the trunk or the spare tire space? I know that there is ventilation for the trunk behind both seats, but I'm wondering how well those might work when running 2-3 amplifiers in the trunk.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:21 PM

With 1 amp, I would let it be. With 2-3, those are probably creating quite a bit of heat. I would recommend a vent fan. There was a thread in this forum about that a few weeks ago (maybe a month or so). They were asking about a fan that could clip to the brace behind the vented panels, pulls A/C air into the trunk. Not sure about the outcome.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Ya, I think that was my thread...

I was hoping that someone else here would have done something like this so I'd have a better reference to what was working before I go down a trial and error route.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:40 PM

Someone on here has their amp mounted in the tool well, with a plexi and MDF false floor, with a few powered circular fans. Supposedly works well.

Why not mount 1 vertical behind one of the seats? They are not all huge monsters, are they?

John
Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 PM

Two of them are too wide (err tall) to fit without hitting the trunk springs if I mount them vertically, but those do (barely) fit side-by-side in the spare (LINK). The third will be vertical in the trunk wall on the left.

Behind the seats isn't an option, I barely have 1" clearance on both the drivers & passenger (aka wife's) side.

I'm putting together something like FF2Skip did for his rack (LINK), though modified to fit my needs.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM

ambitious....I just have my infinity pushing the sub, and now its mounted on the right side (where WLAURENT puts his boxes). This is only temporary, as it sucks too much space. I am having a friend cut a sheet of aluminum for me to mount it vertically on the left side of the trunk, next to the spare.

I am going to be getting a BA GT-22 in the next month or so, and that will go under the driver's seat. I am not going for bling, but more stealth. Dont want any less than reputable people getting sticky fingers, hence the tweeters under the A-pillars. When the radio door is up, cant tell its is anything other than stock.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Spammer

Originally Posted by DaPutster,Aug 30 2005, 02:49 PM
Is anyone using additional fans to cool their amplifier(s) in either the trunk or the spare tire space? I know that there is ventilation for the trunk behind both seats, but I'm wondering how well those might work when running 2-3 amplifiers in the trunk.
it depends on the amps. what kind are they?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 PM

(2) Polk C300.2 going in the spare tire storage.
(1) Older Alpine amp (a 2x75w B-series amp circa 1996) that'll be placed on a flat panel in the trunk to the left of the spare storage.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:55 PM
Spammer

Originally Posted by DaPutster,Aug 30 2005, 07:19 PM
(2) Polk C300.2 going in the spare tire storage.
(1) Older Alpine amp (a 2x75w B-series amp circa 1996) that'll be placed on a flat panel in the trunk to the left of the spare storage.
never tried the polk amps but the alpine does get hot.

doesnt hurt to put a fan.

i know that stinger has some quite fans. they are long and slim. you can also go with computer fans, but you will need go with more fans than the stinger.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:11 PM

It's never been a question to me *if* fans would beneficial. I am looking more for examples of what other people had done in their car.

Thanks for the follow-up's though.

Quick Reply: Amplifier cooling fans?