S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Another DIY camera mount

Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another DIY camera mount

With the dragon coming up, I wanted to be able to mount my camera above the secret compartment. I had considered the Modifry mount, but never pulled the trigger. As the dragon approached I decided to try to make my own. I have to give credit to "rworne" who inspired me to do this with his post here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=261882

The only thing I did not like about rworne's mount solution was that it required the removal of the wind screen every time you wanted to use the mount. I decided to make mine mount to the windscreen itself. It still allows full functionality of the screen with the mount in place (sans camera of course). And, if you desire to remove the mount from the screen, it only leaves a 1/4" hole in the screen base which can be plugged if desired. Well, here goes. I have borrowed the disasembly pics from rworne since I did not get my own. If this is not OK with rworne, I will remove them forthwith.

Parts:

- Manfrotto part #3229 (quick release mount)
- 1/4-20 thread bolt. Half threaded half not. 1.5" length (home depot)

I paid $42 for the manfrotto, but I have seen it much cheaper on line. If I hadn't needed to get it localy due to time restraints, I would have ordered and saved a few bucks.

First remove the screw caps on screen:

Next remove the two phillips head screws:

Now the screen will come right off. The next step is to measure the base of the screen and mark half way across and 3/4 the way up on the black plastic that holds the plexiglass in place. Then, carefully drill a 1/4" hole all the way through.

Now, the bolt you bought will slide all the way through and not bite into the plastic, which is important for reasons I will explain. Thread the bolt into the Manfrotto mount. Once the mount is almost all the way tightned by hand, do not spin the mount as you may scratch the screen base plastic. Use a socket or wrench and tighten the mount down from the bolt head in the rear. This is why the unthreaded part is important. If it were threaded, eventualy it will gouge the plastic and the hole will look crappy when the mount is not on. You can also place some type of felt or other material between the mount and the screen base to prevent chaffing.

Now that the mount is secured in place, you will be able to swing the screen to the down possition. There is already enough clearance there for the head of the bolt you used to not make contact with the base

And finaly, installed in the car:

I would have taken some pics with the top down for better shots, but I just had my tint done yesterday and I cant lower it yet. The mount is very sturdy and I can't wait to use it!!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 AM

Does it wobble at all under heavy bumps/skids/ABS'ing?

I'd be afraid of hitting the brakes hard and the camera flopping down and pulling the windscreen to the upright position.

Looks great and excellent idea though, maybe I'm just over-analyzing!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM

I haven't tested it out yet, but I don't see that happening. The screen is pretty tough to flip up and the camera doesn't weigh enough to do it. I hope anywya. When I test it out, I will report back. From trying to move it around with my hands, it appears to be very soild and should not vibrate on bumps and such.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

looks good... give us your impressions of it under agressive driving conditions...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good. give us an impression for when you drive it please
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 AM

I will probably have a good chance to test it ut under real world conditions this weekend at the dragon. I will report back afterward along with video taken using the mount.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting if it works out for you.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM

Definately looking forward to real driving reviews and video. This would be a perfect/cheap solution for me since I want a sturdy camera mount without getting rid of windscreen (pretty sure that would be illegal in stock class autocrossing)
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, that looks awesome.. if you don't mind, how much did the camera mount piece cost? i am trying to also make a DIY camera mount as a free-time project. let us know how it goes
Old 04-10-2007, 02:04 PM

I paid $42 because I wanted it fast and bought local. I have seen them less than $20 online.

Quick Reply: Another DIY camera mount