S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Any stereo upgrade recommended?

Old 05-25-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any stereo upgrade recommended?

I just want something that plays digital media, not even need a CD player just play Bluetooth and xm, and something that fits nicely with the radio cover?? I’m afraid of purchasing one that will leave me with an open cover, not sure how much wiggle room is in there...and advice??
Old 05-25-2020, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy one of these, aftermarket radios look bad imo.

edit: Sorry, didn't see that you wanted XM.
https://www.target.com/p/anker-roav-...k/-/A-53938478
Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

there's this that plays media through your phone....not bluetooth but directly wired to your phone.

https://www.blitzsafe.com/catalog/ho...-dmx-v-2x.html
Old 05-25-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...614&mpid=27795

Has everything you need, Bluetooth, SiriusXM, HD Radio and you can close the center console door (which should apply to any single-DIN head unit, the only thing off my mind that wouldn't work is if it had a motorized LCD that comes out). Can also change the color to red to somewhat match the gauge cluster. No CD player so the chassis is about half length which you should also install a Modifry DCI behind it to get full use of your factory radio controls and then some.

You'd be surprised how many manufacturers don't make a "mechless" head unit with a HD Radio tuner. Some will call it a Digital Media Player but the whole idea is it doesn't have any mechanical parts like a CD player which most people don't use anymore.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:25 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

And replace your factory speakers. A buddy of mine replaced the OEM stereo in his MY2000 with an Alpine head unit and Polk speakers and it made a world of difference.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 AM

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I installed a Pioneer Digital Media Receiver that left enough room behind in dash to install a 90W/channel Pioneer class D amp (class D doesn't get hot).

Installed aftermarket speakers. Great, ifnot quite audiophile level sound, and loud enough to easily hear clearly top down highway.

Radio cover closes easily. Set it up with same color pattern as the dash, so blends in well.

Got a Modifry phone mount bracket. Used a phone mount that auto grips phone as you place it, and wireless charges at same time. Stream audio from phone. So between laft side radio dash controls and phone apps really don't need to open radio door much.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kilika
I went something like this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...614&mpid=27795

Has everything you need, Bluetooth, SiriusXM, HD Radio and you can close the center console door (which should apply to any single-DIN head unit, the only thing off my mind that wouldn't work is if it had a motorized LCD that comes out). Can also change the color to red to somewhat match the gauge cluster. No CD player so the chassis is about half length which you should also install a Modifry DCI behind it to get full use of your factory radio controls and then some.

You'd be surprised how many manufacturers don't make a "mechless" head unit with a HD Radio tuner. Some will call it a Digital Media Player but the whole idea is it doesn't have any mechanical parts like a CD player which most people don't use anymore.
yeah I was looking at that unit something like that would suit me perfect.... does it fit behind the S2k radio door?? Just a personal thing I like how the door closes would hate to always leave it open or take the head off to close it kinda thing
Old 05-26-2020, 04:19 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmtgenius
yeah I was looking at that unit something like that would suit me perfect.... does it fit behind the S2k radio door?? Just a personal thing I like how the door closes would hate to always leave it open or take the head off to close it kinda thing
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT3...mnews=15166676

You can't get the BT322U anymore, but it fits perfectly behind the radio door. Also, you can set it to matches the colors of your dash. It's been flawless to me.

I'd imagine the new version would too. Also, it's only $90.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT3...mnews=15166676

You can't get the BT322U anymore, but it fits perfectly behind the radio door. Also, you can set it to matches the colors of your dash. It's been flawless to me.

I'd imagine the new version would too. Also, it's only $90.
i was looking at that as well... and I do like the matching color??? What is this modifry thingamabob people speak of??
Old 05-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmtgenius
i was looking at that as well... and I do like the matching color??? What is this modifry thingamabob people speak of??
By the way, here's how it looks in my car. Sorry for the glare, it's sunset and there's not much I can do about that. Haha

It's an extra module that you link up your aftermarket stereo so you can retain your stereo button controls by the starter button. Those buttons are only mapped to your factory stereo. Yank out the factory stereo, and they're useless.

Annnnnnd, I'll be the first to admit I'm spoiled by modern(ish) cars with their big giant buttons (pre-tablet screens garbage). You are not going to enjoy the tiny buttons on a single din interface.

https://modifry.com/index.php?route=...ufacturer_id=1

I got one, the only button that I cannot retain function is the MUTE button. But everything works flawlessly and I barely have to touch the actual stereo. (just like OEM)

Last edited by Say Chi Sin Lo; 05-26-2020 at 05:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bmtgenius (05-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Any stereo upgrade recommended?