S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Anyone still burn MP3 CD's?

Old 08-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone still burn MP3 CD's?

it might be hard to believe, but i dont have any previous experience with burning a CD. i just never had a CD burner on my computer, never needed it myself. that and i never really made music a large part of my life. so i didnt even have a cd player in my car.

well until now.

so im trying to burn some mp3 onto a CD-R using my CD/DVD burner at work. i imported what CD's i have into itunes and tried to burn. after a few attempts, and reading one tip to lower the burn speed to about 20x, i made one successful CD-R. but itunes doesnt organize tracks by folders/albums. so basically i have a cd made of 8 different CD's with 99 tracks all together.

how can i burn my MP3 CD's organized by folders? what other burning software do you suggest? I've also tried CD-RW, that has given me more burning errors and takes forever.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM

Personally, I use a free program called CDeX to rip my cd's into \artist\album\ structure.

Then I open up my burning software. I create a "DataCD" burning session. Then I just drag and drop the artist folder into the burning software window to add that folder and all subfolders to be burned. That should maintain the tree structure like you want.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:33 PM

yeah, my work computer has roxio easy cd creator 5 already loaded.

ive tried that. it doesnt seem to be too successful either. what can i try to make it work better?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM

CD-RW is just for data and cannot be used to create a music CD, FYI.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 PM
N30

Well if it's already in folders on the computer...You could just put the cd-r in, go into my computer, click the cd-r drive and just drag and drop the folders into the cd drive, click file, then write to cd. Make sure it's set as a data cd. Or just make folders in there. (this is just how I do it, may be harder than using some programs, but, not for me.) Hope that helped any haha. (also in some cases your cds could be bad if you're getting errors, or u may have some settings messed up somewhere. I've actually had a whole pack of 100 cds be faulty one time lol)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do is buy a new CD/DVD burner for your home puter. NEC and Lite On both work well. Make sure you get the retail version that includes the Nero lite burning software. About $30+ shipping.

If you just want to burn CDs, the new Lite On 52X burner with Nero is $18.25+ shipping at Newegg. The newer drives work better and have buffer underun protection that old drives (like 5 yrs ago) didnt have. Less than $25 for burner plus software......hard to go wrong.

If you have limited room in your puter you can just use the burner in place of your old optical CD reader. USB interface burners cost considerably more.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM

what operating system allows you to drag files into the CD drive?

im using windows 2000 pro at work. it just says D: drive inaccessible.
my D: drive is 'HL-DT -ST RW/DVD'. its a dell, dude.

yeah, not trying to make an audio cd, just data mp3.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by aralls,Aug 29 2006, 05:06 PM
CD-RW is just for data and cannot be used to create a music CD, FYI.
MP3 CD's are data... but CD-RW is still a poor choice because it doesn't hold up to time/heat as well.

WindowsXP allows you to burn w/o external software... windows 2000 you need software for... did you try what was recomended above already?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:35 PM

like i said, i tried to make a data cd using the roxio software. but it just doesnt seem to want to write and ends up making the cd no longer writable.

im just looking for tips to make this work better.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:38 PM

Also, are you trying to burn MP3 CDs or music CDs? There is a difference.

With an MP3 CD, you're burning compressed data files (3-5 mb each) onto the disc and you can fit about 120-150 songs. You won't be able to play this in a regular stereo.

With a music CD, you can burn 18-20 songs and it should be playable in a regular stereo, car stereo, computer, etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone still burn MP3 CD's?