S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Apple Ipod Faq

Old 07-10-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Apple Ipod Faq

Note: Some items in this FAQ could be used for other portable music players, but as it seems that the questions most commonly asked pertain to the iPod, this FAQ addresses them.

Hello all! Recently I've noticed a lot more people posting questions in the Electronics Forum about how to hook up their Apple iPod to their stereo systems in the S2000. This thread is designed to be a guide at the variety of options you have, and the pros and cons of each. This guide so only be used as a reference, and I take no responsibility for damages incurred through the information in this thread. Now that that's out of the way, let us begin.

1.0: The Non-Invasive Way

For those looking for the least invasive way of hooking up an iPod to their car, there is only really one good way to go. FM transmitters seem to be all the rage with the average audiophile looking to take his/her music gallery with them. Some of the pros of this method is that you can switch cars easily, and there's no actually wiring you have to do. Also, considering the S2000 doesn't have a tape deck (we won't talk tape adapters here), this is really the only choice. The cons though are very poor sound quality, short broadcast range, and in large metropolitan areas, it's nearly impossible to find a clean frequency to broadcast on.

1.1: Belkin's Wireless Transmitter

In a partnership with Apple computer early on, Belkin was able to get first dibs at creating products for the iPod. They are sold in all Apple stores, and were tested early on.

1.1.1: Tunecast Mobile FM Transmitter

This product runs on AAA batteries (included), and simply plugs into the headphone jack of your iPod or other MP3 player, and you select from a series of 4 channels to broadcast your frequency on.

Pros: Simplest Setup
Cons: Limited Channel Selection

1.1.2: Tunecast II Mobile FM Transmitter

This device connects to the headphone jack of your MP3 device, and also runs on batteries. However, there is a separate power jack to use in conjunction with their 3rd Generation iPod car power port, so you only have to use one power port to charge both the iPod and the transmitter. Also, this let's you choose from all available FM frequencies, and also has an OFF option so you don't waste battery life.

Pros: Wide Channel Selection, Separate Power Capability
Cons: Form Factor of Entire Setup

1.1.3: Mobile Power Adapter for iPod w/ Dock Connector

This device is a no-brainer for anyone using the iPod for extended periods of time with either any of the Belkin products, or with the Griffin Technologies iTrip (see below).

Pros: Gives You Unlimited iPod Usage
Cons: None

1.2: Griffin Technology's iTrip

The iTrip was supposed to be the savior of the FM transmitter for the iPod. It provides a wide variety of channels to choose from (all done through the iPod, and not separtely), it powers itself from the iPod, meaning you don't have to change it's batteries, and it also auto turns itself off, looks like it belongs on the iPod, and is made by a small company looking to make it big in the iPod market.

In actual application though, the iTrip leaves something to be desired. It still has the poor transmission quality inherent to all FM transmitters.

Pros: Perfect Form Factor (Small and Mobile)
Cons: No Way To Power iPod From Car, Still Poor Quality Sound

1.3: Digital Lifestyle Outfitter's TransPod FM

A late show to the game, this device seems to be the most promising. It plugs into your power port, and you dock the iPod to the device (or mount the dock on your dash), it powers the iPod, lets you choose from an infinite number of channels to choose from, and has a fairly sleek, compact design.

Pros: All in one design makes it simple and elegant. Powers everything.
Cons: Still an FM transmitter.

2.0: Direct Link With Stock Headunit

Many people like to keep their stock headunit, but would like to create an Aux in to plug the iPod into it. You'll need something like the Monster iCable for iPod Stereo cable, and a set of RCAs to run to the aux in. Also, the beforementioned power adapter can be hardwired to where ever you want to mount the iPod, so you don't have to worry about running the batteries dead. Now, all you need is a device so you can hook up the iPod to the stock headunit.

(To be continued when I get home from work. Just don't want to lose what I've got so far.)
Old 07-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great writeup. I can make one for aftermarket decks, but I think its pretty self explanitory. (headphone jack----->RCAs)
Old 07-10-2004, 11:20 PM

Sorry if this has been posted already, but this is relatively new info (July 7):

http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading...ch_kca-420i.htm

http://www.alpine-usa.com/company_info/pre..._ipod_flrl.html

Peter
Old 07-11-2004, 05:56 AM

Alpine is about to release an adaptor for their A-I net head units. Once it is released, you will be able to plug it into your ipod. Then you will be able to control the ipod and get the display right on the front of the alpine radio. I'm mounting my ipod in the secret compartment.

I have the radio on order, just got modifry's DCI. and anxiously awaiting the release of the alpine cable.

This will work on gen 3 ipods with the dock port on the bottom...

Hope this helps

Mitch
Old 07-11-2004, 05:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Belkin makes a much better adaptor than the one you mention:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=149006

This gives power as well as "line out" w/amplifier that makes this ideal for stock headunits when used with a HON-AUX.

You need:
The above Belkin adaptor
HON-AUX
A car power extension cord: basically a 6' cord with a male and female plugs on each end (goes in accessory power port).
A Y-cable: stereo mini phono plug to RCA

1. Cut the male section off of the extension cord. Wire female end to +12V and ground
2. Plug in Belkin adaptor. (Step #1 is so you hack up a $3 cable instead of a $50 cable)
3. Install HON-AUX
4. Plug in Y adaptor to Belkin and HON-AUX

That's the hookup. It's up to you to hide the cables. removing the center plastic console reveals lots of nooks and crannies to tuck everything. I have the dock connector coming out of the hinge area of the glovebox door and the iPod connects with one cable. The biggest PITA was getting the cable through the gap in the hinge and mucking about with the glovebox to get the cables routed.

Another alternative is to have the cable come out somewhere else and use some other method for hooking up the iPod.

Before buttoning everything up, check for sound - engine running and not running. Ground the HON-AUX if it sounds better that way. Use the volume control on the Belkin to adjust the output to match the radio output in loudness.

This has worked remarkably well for me, and I'll be tearing it out when Alpine gets off their butts and releases their iPod interface.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:31 PM

Awesome, thank you all for adding to the thread. This is all usefull on top of the information already posted.

I just feel with so many questions about it lately, might as well come up with a FAQ to address some of the issues.