S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Automatic Roof/Windows Up In The Rain

Old 11-27-2001, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Guys here is a thought.... I am in the circuit design stages of building a processor that will raise the roof, and then the windows in the event a sensor detects rain.

Granted, the roof latches will not latch, and it may leak a little in a downpour, but here in Florida, you can never tell when it will come a cloud-burst. I have gone into a resturant or store many times in my Vette, only to have to run out in the rain and put up the MANUAL roof. I always said if I ever get a car with an electric roof, I would design such a circuit. Well I have the car now...

I need some input to logistics.....

Obviously, the boot has to be removed. This is probably not a big deal since most of you don't use it any way. My thinking is to mount a rain sensor, either IR, or perhaps simply a resistace type with enough gain to trigger a processor to put the roof up, then the windows. The processor will be interlocked with the ignition and the emergency brake... that is... the ignition must be off, and the brake must be on before the circuit will start. The entire system will have a disconnect switch on the rain sensor. The rain sensor will more than likely be located just behind the aero-shield on top of the console, facing straight up to the sky....

Further to this, I can incorporate a keyless transmitter for roof up/ roof down functions. The roof down will have to have some type of interlock to assure the roof latches are open before the processor will attempt to lower the roof. I don't know who would want this, if you have to leave the latches open, it obviously would have to be in a secure area. It's very inexpensive to add these features. Maybe another $30.00. For me, I would use it in my garage to keep the dust out of the interior, putting the roof down as I approach the car...

Anyway, if you are intersested in something like this, please post... I will have the proto-type up and running in the next couple weeks. My idea is to make it all plug-and-play, so to speak. No difficult installs, just plug into factory connectors.

If you have any input, I would love to here it... thanks...
Old 11-27-2001, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only suggestion I can think of at the moment is knock a zero off of those prices. The circuit you're describing is quite simplistic, so charging $450 around here is a sure way to get someone else on this board to design the same crcuit and sell it for 1/10th the price. I hope it works out for you...let us know when you have a working prototype.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 PM

Hey MacGyver:

Sell me a truck load at those prices !!! Thanks for the input though... I guess if it's all that simple, I'll save myself the mental anguish and just wait and buy one... Problem is, I haven't seen one.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:42 PM

My pastor always said, " In any situation, the first one to mention money looses". Looks like I'm in the gutter again !!!
Old 11-27-2001, 04:50 PM

Adding the "plug and play" part will easily add a hundred or so to the price. There are a lot of modules to tap into, and remember each one will require two connectors.

But MacGyver's right, the prices do sound a little high. It can also be done without the micro, though it's easier to tweek software designs than hardware.

Just as a reference for what some others (me, in this case) have done in the way of add-on modules, see my web page
Old 11-28-2001, 01:00 PM

Modifry,

Yep, I kinda glossed over the whole connector parts cost...my bad. The control circuit would be quite inexpensive (sub-$10 to mass manufacture), but all of the wiring and connectors would add up quickly.

Hog,

You may want to consider a simple poll to determine if people would be willing to pay several hundred dollars for such an item. My first instinct would be towards it being a very small market, which means really high product prices to recoup development costs. But by all means, make one for yourself if it will be useful. That's pretty much what I do when no one else seems interested.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:32 PM

MacGyver help me out here....

The cheapest I get the infra-red rain sensors made, in lots of 25 is $73.20 each. I'm sure a simple resistance sensor with a gain circuit would work fine, but even at that, I can't get them built in a decent looking enclosure for less than $17.00 in lots of 25 .

Now, I will agree with you on the circuits themselves being $10.00 to $20.00, depending on enclosures. The appropriate connectors retail at $93.00. I do not have the means to buy these items wholesale, do you??? Opps, forgot the cost of the interlock switches for the roof latches.

When I add the remotes and receivers, they are $23.00 each with two remotes included. This takes me to my cost of $223.60 +. Now add freight and the cost of money. Keep in mind I have a real job manufacturing other STUFF, so labor has to be added in somewhere, and don't forget development cost or we call it "gray matter", not to mention administrative costs such as billing and distribution.

The original post was to look for interest... not criticism... but it was constructive, and thank you for it.... I'm glad you went back and re-thought the connector thing through, it makes me feel that I'm not missing something. Although you being the first to reply with such negativity probably sent a bad carma to anyone else responding... You seem to be very well respected on this board, and rightly so... I'm just the new guy. I will take your advice though and build a few for myself and friends, just to see the idea through...

You know, we just a bunch of good 'ole country boys down here in Central Florida... The whole world knows we don't even know how to count!!! But thank God for George W.... The morale to this story is there is ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat....

Oh yeh, buy the way... insurance will not cover rain damage if the top is left down.... all of a sudden, the $350.00 to $400.00 doesn't seem so bad...