S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

battery died after just two years

Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default battery died after just two years

welp, i killed the stocker battery in just two years. only one year of it was with the full blown stereo. oh well.

after reading a lot of info on the site, i went with my gut. yes i know people on here generally do not like optima yellowtop, mainly due to the pos group 51 battery they failed with. but i have had enormous success with the group 34/78 yellowtop battery. i had one in my camaro for 3 years with no problems and sold it with that car. i had one in my jetta for two years and then moved it over to my hatch and sold it with that car. so i decided to cram that same size battery into the S.

it is little shorter, but 1.7" fatter. the battery sits on the only battery shelf, not in it. but its secure and looks pretty much like it belongs. i picked up the battery at advanced auto parts, and a universal battery hold down strap at pepboys. its simple, plastic, but effective, as it lets you slide it wider to accommodate different width batteries. then i took the stock battery hold down bars and bent then about an inch from the part that curves to catch the battery tray. now they catch the tray, come up the side of the battery like factory, and are threaded through the new battery hold down. badabing, that bad boy is in there solid.

and oh joy, it starts like it has balls. i had noticed for weeks now the car started slowly, just ignored it. then yesterday on the way to work, it started really slow, and on my way home even slower. hell, when i went to start it to go buy the new battery, it gave up!!!!!

i will post a pic up when i get home.

on a side note, the battery is 10 lbs heavier then stock, but i could care less. car gets a little heavier, just gonna have to make mo powa!