S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Bluetooth headset while driving with top down

Old 09-01-2005, 05:51 AM
asn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth headset while driving with top down

I was wondering which bluetooth headset is best for driving with the top down. I've been driving with a corded one (that doesn't work that well), but my new phone supports bluetooth. I'd like one that I can hear well, and also does good noise canceling so the person on the other end can hear me well.

I don't mind putting the windows up, while on the phone, but I don't want to put the top up. Due to my job, I am on the phone a lot while in the car.

Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got a jabra 250v. i can hear it fine top up or down, but i've found the caller can't really hear me when i have the top down and i'm on the highway. don't know about around town speeds. Top up and its fine.

I have heard good things about the sony HBH-300.

also check howardforums, they have a section on headsets

Actually considering trying to put in a bluetooth module that I can hook an external mic/earpiece to, then putting a throat mic in. Then the windnoise can be as loud as it wants and a whisper can be heard I'd have to put the mic/earpiece on/off every time, but I do the same w/ the Jabra, and I still wouldn't have to worry about wires to the phone. plus, w/ a little extra design effort, i could have it switchable to a frs radio input, and put another mic/earpeice in for a passenger and have an intercom no more yelling at each other over road noise
Old 09-01-2005, 06:57 AM

Eepr5 is correct.. With the Jabra the caller has a lot of trouble hearing me too even if I close the windows on my old car (hard top) and turned on the AC to the lowest setting my friends and clients would say "close the window I can't hear you"

And to top it off.. with my Treo 650 the range is horrible.. even in the same car I have problems at times.

On a positive note however, I hear a lot of good things about the Motorola headsets... Can't tell you how they will be with the top down however.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:31 AM

I can tell you the IOGear one is NOT good for top down (or up) driving. People were constantly asking me to close a window or talk louder.

I just picked up the Logitech Mobile Freedom, works MUCH better. But it crushes my ear (soft cartlidge?) and makes it stick out in odd ways.

Good luck though
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 AM

when I used to have a Moto v710, the motorola hs810 headset would work great with the noise cancellation and was a great headset for that phone..

now that I have a blackberry, the moto sucks at everything and I've stopped using it.. I'm currently researching new headsets, and heard the cellpoint flamingo is a good one, albeit a little bit more pricey - only problem is, it will look like a black schlong hanging off of my ear
Old 09-01-2005, 07:40 AM

I have the Moto hs810 - it works fine with my Moto V505 even with the top down - there will be a little degradation in sound no matter which one you use (~20-25% in my case).
Old 09-01-2005, 08:09 AM

E815 w/ HS850 here. Works great.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the new black Razor and bluetooth suxs so far...

I used both motorola HS850.... Bluetooth connection sux....Volume..could not hear with volume all the way up, still can hear in the car or just walking around with anyother noise

I now have the Jarba 250v.... only stays connected for a couple minutes, 10-15 minute later if it rings bluetooth is off and does not see the ear peice.
It clipped to my sunvisor... and it cant get closer, I calledseveral of my cllents when driving people with top up and ACon, they called me back and said "your message wa all broken up and could not hear you"

I just bought the wired ear piece..... fugin ugly

With both wireless bluetooth I have had POOR reception
Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 AM

I've tried the Moto 850 (couldn't hear well at speed), and a Jabra 250. Could hear the 250 fine, but nobody understood me.

Finally tried, and kept, a Jabr BT800. Very good performance. Loud enough to hear at speed, others could hear me fine. Add'l. features are: Auto adjusting volume (really really works well in our cars), mute function, and "Instant on" since it's bluetooth 1.2... Essentially, setup your phone, when you get a call, turn on headset, and by the time you have it on your ear, you're synced and ready to talk.

By far the best all around headset for a convertible. Unfortunately, you pay the price for it. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Hey picturepro, see my earlier post. I have a Moto Razr too. I've found the Jabra BT800 works fine. I keep my phone in my pocket, and everything works fine.

One trick: use the voice call feature (within your address book). When you do, record your prompt IN THE CAR, at approx. the speed you most generally drive. I did this, and it works well for me. This way, you hit the "first" button on the headset, to voice dial and eveything connects without you doing any dialing.

BTW, Compusa gives you 21 days to try and return an item. That's how I went through 3 headsets to get to the BT800...

Quick Reply: Bluetooth headset while driving with top down