S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Cell Phone Choices

Old 07-04-2003, 03:17 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts
Default Cell Phone Choices

I've posted this in the electroncs forum but didn't get any replies so I thought I'd put it here for more exposure.

I have been carrying a Motorola StarTac phone for about 1 1/2 years. It is a pretty good phone except for the poorly designed antenna. I am connected through Verizon Wireless, and I have the family plan. Verizon is about the best provider in Northern New Jersey.

This evening I gave my phone to my oldest son and decided to buy myself a new phone. My choices are the following:

LG VX4400
LG VX10
Samsung A310
Motorola T720

Sound quality is very important to me as is convenience of the phone. The ability to send and receive calls is also important. I don't want a phone that has trouble when the signal strength is less then optimum. I do want to get one of these as this is the type of phone I prefer.

If anyone has any experience with any of them please give me your feedback and your expeience. Your comments will help me make up my mind. I am leaning towards the Motorola.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may get better feedback if you post this at some cellular forum. i, myself don't have one so i don't know much about them.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:20 AM

The ability to send and receive calls is also important.
I would definitely suggest one that does both!

I'm actually in the same boat. I was very happy with my StarTac, but it's time to upgrade.

Gary
Old 07-04-2003, 04:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My son has gone to a lot of trouble (more than I ever would) to field test Verizon phones before a purchase. He has one he is very happy with and I have sent him a message.. will update this thread with his answer.

My thus far worthless post to help me find the thread again.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:57 AM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gsquared
[B]
Old 07-04-2003, 05:15 AM

Motorola had the static regarding if the phone would ring or not. This problem plagued them from the first digital (CDMA) phone up until 2001 were they finally acknowledged it. Before that they would always blame the carriers network. After the update they were closer to the industry average, but still not below it. They also had some of the highest failure rates in the industry compared to the other top brands.

Phones with external/retractable antennas generally get better signal.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:49 AM

i would say go with the samsung 310, samsung always have good signal reception and clarity on their higher end phones. my second choice out of those would be the t720. motorola is a very reliable phone, but i would avoid the color screen unless it is a feature that you actually want. it will drain your battery more, not to mention that phone jsut seems to lag to me. but motorola did seem to solve the antenna problem they had with the startac, v120, and v60 because the 720 is much more sturdy. i would definatly stay away from both LG phones. from what ive seen, a lot of people have various problems with every LG phone ive ever seen. btw, in case you are wondering, i have a store in richmond va, global cellular. we dont sell the actual phones, only accessories, but i work on and see phones all day long, and get to see a lot of peoples opinoins on their phones and their problems they have had with them.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:39 AM

My brother works for tech support for verizon.
I have to ask him about the other 3 phones but the T720 .. he has told me it has poor battery life, even after the fix they did.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Rob, funny that you actually *like* the StarTac. The three that I've had have been among the absolute worst pieces of dung that I've ever owned. Performance wise they're at the very bottom of the barrel. I had three of them...because....they kept breaking!

I'm on Sprint so I can't help you with your choices but I have to say that almost anything in my experience would be better than a POS Rotomola. The T720 has some particularly bad reviews online.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:31 AM

I have the LG 4400 and I love it! Its a sweet phone with all the cool features, wallpaper pics, ring tones, games, etc...all downloadable.

Great phone!

Quick Reply: Cell Phone Choices