S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Couples Questions on Stereo Upgrades

Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couples Questions on Stereo Upgrades

Hi Guys!

I've spent the morning searching for some answers on some questions regarding the stereo system in the S2000. I love my S2000, and while I'm not looking for something incredible, I do sometimes wish the stock stereo performed better. I'm fortunate enough to be able to store my S2000 in the winter, so 98% percent of my driving is with the top down. Often, I don't find the music to be loud enough, and with the music turned up, the clarity isn't the greatest.

So I read that the best way to simply upgrade the stereo is to start with the head unit. I talked to a couple guys I know that have S2000's, who also switched head units, but they said they lost control of the dash controls (Mute Button, etc). When I searched though, I found that you can still use the dash control units with the upgraded Stereo head.

But even if I replace the head unit, will that improve the sound, and possibly the volume? Would I be better to upgrade the speakers themselves?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM

if you want the best bang for the buck, i would pick up a decent aftermarket headunit, it will make wonders. yes it will be louder, more clear, and you will be able to hear it with the top down on the freeway(i remmeber the oem stereo, i couldnt hear anything on the freeway)

the modifry dci is what your looking for to keep your interface controls on the side, http://modifry.com/products/dci/index.htm

and you may want to consider driving top down with the windows up if you want more out of your speakers. it makes a difference
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaiah,Jan 11 2011, 11:48 AM
But even if I replace the head unit, will that improve the sound, and possibly the volume? Would I be better to upgrade the speakers themselves?
Depends on what your goal is. "Best" in general is to replace the head unit, replace the speakers and add an amp.

Replacing the HU in my 2006 did improve things slightly but not as much as adding an amp and using better speakers.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do decide to replace the HU and speakers, but are weary of adding an amp, Alpine makes a mini 4-Channel amp that plugs in-line with their head unit (2008 models +). It is the Alpine KTP-445, rated at 180W peak and 45W x 4 Ohm RMS. It's plug and play for most Alpines, but I'm sure wires and be cut and rewired to work with any other brand radio.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Thanks guys for all the help! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my 'newb' questions.

So let me get this straight - the head unit and the amp are separate? Does the S2000 have an amp already, which I'd be upgrading, or does it not have one, and I'll be adding one all together? If I am adding one, does that increase my chance of blowing up a speaker?

Tphong, thanks! However, I have a 2002 S2000 so is there another way i could make that work?

chViETnk, are you saying that I can use any headunit I want - and just use that adapter to make the dash controls work?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 PM

The DCI enables you to use the dash controls with virtually any HU, yes.

I, for one, plan to buy it as soon as I can get moving on a HU.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 AM

I wanted more sound like you but I really didn't like the look of aftermartket HU's.
My friend owns a stereo shop and he got me a crossover and amp. We replaced the door speakers with high quality stuff and added a sub in the trunk. Using a 4 channel amp to power the interior speakers and the sub. The sound now is light years better and its loud enough to be heard over my 70mm single exhaust at 80 with the top down. I only spent prob. a grand on everything and inside the car still looks completely stock and clean. Just another option for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Isaiah,Jan 12 2011, 10:02 AM
So let me get this straight - the head unit and the amp are separate?
All head units have amps but, typically, the word "amp" refers to a separate amp.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Hey Guys! Sorry that I haven't posted back on here, but busy lately!

Anyways, so I did more reading. I found that the front speaker in the door are 6.5inches (or 165mm). Does a 2002 S2000 only have 4 speakers? (The 2 up front, and the 2 tweeters? I kept on hearing about 'Rear Speakers' and putting expanding the rear speakers to hold a 6.5in front speaker. I'm confused to if only the AP2 had rear speakers, or if my AP1 does to...Or if no S2000 has ever had rear speakers!

Then I also read somewhere that Pre-'04 Stereos are just Accord head units, and that there's two more outputs on the stereo that S2000's don't use? (Unless they got the dealer option for the headrest speakers) Is this true?
Old 01-20-2011, 02:56 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...howtopic=97178

There's the link to where it looks like the guy installs speakers behind the seats, and mentions that we have two extra outputs.

Quick Reply: Couples Questions on Stereo Upgrades