S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

custom tweeter grill

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default custom tweeter grill

I just made these custom grills for our AP2. We're considering manufacturing them (I work for a plastic company).
What do you guys think?

Tweeter Grill

Left panel

Right panel

J
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok those are pretty cool... not sure about the gloss black but that is a very small detail that can be fixed with a little SEM paint. I like it.

The bigger question will be, whats the price point?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM

I actually painted them gloss black and after meeting with a regional Honda manager, he preferred matte black so note taken.

So, I'm attempting to offer these thru my company to dealers as an aftermarket option. We're an OEM supplier. Honda actually said they could see these retailing for $200-4220 a pair. If I can get enough interest (about 50 people showing sincere interest), I can offer these thru the forum for about $130/pair. They would come primed so that you could paint them whatever color you wanted. They would also be a little bit different (include adapters) so that they could fit different types of tweeters. This hand made one (we made 2 sets) is specific to Focal, one of our sponsors, and didn't require adaptors.

If we end up being a supplier to Honda, they may not be available thru the forums after that. It all depends on the negotiation process with them. But for now, we can continue to discuss offering them directly.

Any comments?

Tx,
J
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Well I think you have a great idea for the market... The idea of suppling them in an unfinished platform is probably best for the aftermarket, but I would think Honda will want them to be color matched for a factory option.

But honestly either way is good for you and the idea. I think you could make a case to Honda to offer them through the forum for a discounted price to get them into the market. Selling product on here is mass market advertising to the core group of people that would be looking to purchase them. However you could also talk to Metra as they are a huge supplier of aftermarket car audio adapters. You might even have better luck there since the product you are making are for a car that is no longer being produced. Going that road would probably net more sales... the price point will need to be lower but if the sales are there then the price point could be lower and the volume will make up the difference. That way you only need to produce them a standard primed paintable setup, which should save on the cost of production.

Regardless of the direction you take it you have a great idea for a product. My gut says to talk to a Metra type company before you lock in with Honda though. Although designing something for Honda would be cool..... Money is cooler...

I make custom tweeter pods, that are made from the stock A-Pillers that sell for about $375-425 depending on what the client wants... so I think your price point is pretty spot on for the forum price and the dealer price, assuming you have a machine pumping them out for you. I had to make mine all by hand as each set was a specific set up.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Well I think you have a great idea for the market... The idea of suppling them in an unfinished platform is probably best for the aftermarket, but I would think Honda will want them to be color matched for a factory option.

But honestly either way is good for you and the idea. I think you could make a case to Honda to offer them through the forum for a discounted price to get them into the market. Selling product on here is mass market advertising to the core group of people that would be looking to purchase them. However you could also talk to Metra as they are a huge supplier of aftermarket car audio adapters. You might even have better luck there since the product you are making are for a car that is no longer being produced. Going that road would probably net more sales... the price point will need to be lower but if the sales are there then the price point could be lower and the volume will make up the difference. That way you only need to produce them a standard primed paintable setup, which should save on the cost of production.

Regardless of the direction you take it you have a great idea for a product. My gut says to talk to a Metra type company before you lock in with Honda though. Although designing something for Honda would be cool..... Money is cooler...

I make custom tweeter pods, that are made from the stock A-Pillers that sell for about $375-425 depending on what the client wants... so I think your price point is pretty spot on for the forum price and the dealer price, assuming you have a machine pumping them out for you. I had to make mine all by hand as each set was a specific set up.

Great great points. Thank you for such an informative reply. I'll look into Metra. I agree, making something for Honda is cool, but making money is more cool ! OEM parts are always super tight on margin.

fyi..you're pods look amazing!

I'll keep things moving to see where this takes us...
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM

Good luck with you product I hope I see it on the shelf soon and Thanks for the kind words
Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

this wouldve been useful for me seeing as i am running focal but personally i would like to see it more inset and on axis.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ragnarok043
this wouldve been useful for me seeing as i am running focal but personally i would like to see it more inset and on axis.
this was our version 1.0
we are currently making one that is angled inwards/upwards so the soundstage is higher and more towards the listener's ears.
which Focal's are you using?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarFanaticS2000
Originally Posted by Ragnarok043' timestamp='1349243925' post='22054924
this was our version 1.0
we are currently making one that is angled inwards/upwards so the soundstage is higher and more towards the listener's ears.
which Focal's are you using?
im using the TN53K from the KRX3 set, i ended up using the speaker pods that the set came with the set and mounted it on the A pillar.

Quick Reply: custom tweeter grill