S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Cut wires from radio! Help asap!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

what are the colors of the wires going into the taped splice?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is this thing I'm not sure what it was. It has red and blue that we're not even connected but the other ones were split into some wires or either going into the car harness with radio
Old 09-13-2017, 05:59 PM
oth

Ok, here's what I think is going on:
I think the previous owner installed an external amp, connected via that big black connector with all the pins/wires.
To get the speaker outputs from the amp connected to the door speakers, he cut the green/yellow, green/black,
gray/red, and light green speaker wires (that normally run from the blue connector though the black flexible plastic tubing
into the dash and ultimately to the doors), and attached the speaker wires from the black connector to them (you can see
pieces of those wires spliced to the wires coming out of the black connector). After removing the amp, he started to
disconnect the extra wiring but didn't get everything back to stock.
What I think you need to do:
It looks like the green/yellow, green/black, gray/red, and light green wires with the exposed copper are coming out of the
flexible tubing - if that's correct, it's good! You need to find the matching wires connected to the blue connector,
If they have been spliced to the thicker gage wires that are connected to the black connector, disconnect them.
Then splice the matching wires from the blue harness to the ones sticking out of the black flexible tube.

Last edited by oth; 09-13-2017 at 06:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 PM

Ok I tried that and connected everything where it's soposed to go and everything works except the speakers. Like no sound! I'm thinking, do I need an amp to power the speakers cause they might not have enough power to play sound through them? Cause everything works but sound. Maybe speakers need more power?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Benz2K
Ok I tried that and connected everything where it's soposed to go and everything works except the speakers. Like no sound! I'm thinking, do I need an amp to power the speakers cause they might not have enough power to play sound through them? Cause everything works but sound. Maybe speakers need more power?
Damn you're still having problems? Where are you located? I do head units all the time and changed mine on my S.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:04 AM
oth

The speakers may need more power to sound good at volume, but the headunit will produce plenty
to hear them at low volume. If you hear nothing, it's because they are getting nothing.
First, confirm that the heaunit isn't muted (mute switch on dash). Then make sure the fader control isn't
set to all the way rear.
If it's not that, next I'd use a multimeter, set to ohms, by inserting the probes into the blue connector,
one in cavity 7 (green/black) and one in cavity 17 (light green). Should be somewhere in the neighborhood
of 4 ohms if a speaker is connected. Wil be infinite if not connected. If extemely low, way less than 1 ohm,
you have a short circuit. If that checks out, do the same for cavities 8 & 18

Last edited by oth; 09-14-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That big connector looks like one for a Line Output Converter (LOC). I bet that the previous owner installed that and then routed a set of RCA's to a amp mounted elsewhere (trunk?). From there the speaker wires would have been routed from the amp to the speakers themselves.

Things to check:
1. Look around in the trunk under the panels to see if you find a rats nest of wires somewhere.
2. Remove the door panels and speakers and see if there are non-OEM wires hooked up to the speakers.

You should be able to get back to 100% OEM but you will need to un-f!ck the wiring that the PO did.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by S2kalan
Damn you're still having problems? Where are you located? I do head units all the time and changed mine on my S.
located in chariton Iowa
Old 09-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Ok so I found out I have focal 3 speakers and idk if that would help to find me an aftermarket head unit or stereo to fit with those speakers???
Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It looks like your car stereo was well modified. I really bet there was an amp and a LOC installed that the previous owner removed to sell. That would result in the speakers not working at all. Again, look around in the trunk under the carpeted panels for any wiring that looks out of place. You should find some RCA's and speaker wires somewhere.

Honestly, it sounds like you are not very familiar with automotive wiring. In that case you are probably best served by taking the car to a shop that specializes in car audio. They should be able to look things over and give you some options. Those Focal's are very good speakers but would need a decent amp to drive them. In order to get things working properly you will need to first figure out what the PO did and then removed so you can go from there in restoring it.

Quick Reply: Cut wires from radio! Help asap!